Question Gpu fully functional, but output only via the motherboard.

NumBezZeDz

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2014
Hello,
I just upgraded my GPU to the 4090 but for some reason, it refuses to give an output to my monitor. Instead, it is outputting via the motherboard.
The GPU shows up in device manager, and MSI afterburner shows that the GPU is fully active when I boot up a game.
Unfortunately, the DisplayPort on my motherboard cannot run at my monitor's spec, so I want to find a solution for this odd problem that I'm having.
Specs:
i7 8700k
Asus z370i
Gigabyte UD1000GM
Gigabyte RTX 4090
Thanks in advance :))

NumBezZeDz

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2014
Make sure you are running in UEFI with the latest bios. Also try disabling your integrated graphics. Your motherboard port is running on your IGPU.
I tried to disable the iGPU using device manager, and I set graphics output to PCIe instead of CPU in the bios and it's still displaying via motherboard .-.
Fully updated bios and everything.

Last edited:

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
I tried to disable the iGPU using device manager, and I set graphics output to PCIe instead of CPU in the bios and it's still displaying via motherboard .-.
Fully updated bios and everything.
What ports have you tried on the 4090? For example, your monitor may be set to Display Port while you're using HDMI output from the 4090. In which case you don't get signal on the monitor. Make sure those settings match.
And maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but the 4090 is definitely not outputting anything at all via your motherboard ports. Any signal coming from there is from your IGPU.

NumBezZeDz

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2014
What ports have you tried on the 4090? For example, your monitor may be set to Display Port while you're using HDMI output from the 4090. In which case you don't get signal on the monitor. Make sure those settings match.
And maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but the 4090 is definitely not outputting anything at all via your motherboard ports. Any signal coming from there is from your IGPU.
Basically, I had an HDMI output on my motherboard and a DP output on my GPU. My monitor detects and displays the HDMI output, but when I swap to DP it just says no signal. When I tried gaming (after I disconnected the DP from the GPU), it was outputting 300+ fps in CS:GO on like 1440p. I thought the exact same thing as you, that CS:GO is probably going to run on iGPU but that's what makes this so bizarre.

I got it to work eventually through some weird workaround, but I still have no idea what happened and why it's fixed now.