Question GPU gone stupid or maybe another compnonent...unsure

Foxeysoulslayer

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016
So I noticed since I tried installing an RX590 upgrading from RX480 .....it seems every 1-3 boots everything works great 100 fps in world of warcraft with graphics set to 70% of maximum....but the other time I boot this stays at a dreadful 12-24 fps....I do not know whats wrong here....I know my system has waaay more than enough airflow with 3x 200 cfm fans sucking air out of my case and a 67 + 95 cfm pulling air into my case.....I check with speccy tool my cpu/motherboard/ssd drives all nominal temps 38-42C...graphics card however 51-55C when operating great, but 65-77C when operating poorly...furthermore when operating great the graphics cards is literally only 25% utilized, but poorly 100%......idk whats the heck is going on here.....HELP....https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qWk76Jpv_X_-_fWGmpg5z96BrmQKH_Fi/view?usp=sharing <-- SPECCY output while operating at normal great

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Use HWINFO instead. Speccy isn't very detailed - and that screenshot still has the RX 480 in it.
Post your specs:
Exact cpu model & cpu cooler
How many sticks of this 32GB ram, and are they from the same kit
Exact make(evga, seasonic, corsair, etc.), model(G2, supernova, focus gold, prime ultra, rmx, cxm, txm, etc), and how many watts
Make and model of your case
What kind of fans are those, because CFM alone does not tell the whole story

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Whoa, that's quite the mix of fans! I don't suppose you run that pair of 4000s at full speed? In case you weren't already aware, the advertised cfm and pressure ratings only apply at the fans' max rpms. The amount of air they are moving is much lower otherwise.
That said, the pair of 4000 rpm fans would be better served in the front, simply because of their much higher rpms, so their going to have a higher static pressure than the other 2. Higher pressure fans are more efficient at moving air when obstacles are present, thus they make for the best intake fans.

Is the bios and all motherboard drivers(chipset, lan, audio, etc) up to date?
Any overclocks?

Are you familiar with DDU? https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
Download the newest graphics driver, but don't install it yet. Disconnect your internet, then run DDU(requires safe mode).
After DDU has done its thing, then install the new driver. Do a clean install if prompted. Then you can reconnect your internet.

^Give this a spin, and post your results.

Foxeysoulslayer

Reputable
Mar 27, 2016
---So all the drivers are up-to-date,
---I checked found no malware,
--- the fans on my case run at 33%-68% of capacity most of the time...
---Sadly if i place them on my intake i will have no dust filtration though, but I am changing one of the intake face to my spare 95cfm so it will have 2 95 cfms in front.

---So I reinstalled my old graphics card after reinstalling its drivers, of which almost every boot it works just fine, but i still notice random bouts where my fps plummets in game ( from 100 -->11-16) while lagging any TV show stream service and the computer reads gpu at 100% usage and processor usage low to medium, thus far these bouts last 3-7 minutes before dissipating and happens at least once per day at not one same time....
---I did however notice that razor process thread for there silly coin tallying was using high CPU randomly....but that has not been running every-time this issue presented itself....

---I will also dust the computer out today to see if it helps...I know there is a slight built up in a few areas in the case

--Otherwise I still unsure why i am getting the intermittent spike in GPU usage