GPU got Downgraded?

Ethan Carlone

Honorable
Dec 16, 2015
OK, I was playing just playing a game with my ASUS STRIX 1070. When I hopped into the game, there were a bunch of texture glitches. I restarted the game, bu the same thing happened. So I ran Fire-strike and it crashed immediately. A windows notification claimed something about drivers.So I hopped into Ge-force experience. That is when I updated to Ge-force Experience 3.0. Once I did that i tested fire-strike again. The benchmark ran however, the score went from a 14,965 to a 14,126 which is a fairly large decrease. Anyone else having similar issues? Is there anything I can do to improve this? Thanks!

Solution
It's boosting higher then it's supposed to so you are good on the clock speed front. There can be mild differences in drivers but I wouldn't think that many. Uninstall the current drivers and install the older ones. Either from the .exe on your computer or from Nvidia's website.

4745454b

Titan
Large decrease? It's less then 6%. As noted above a change that small is probably a difference in clock speeds. I'd be more concerned with the "texture glitches" and Fire-strike causing the crashes. It might be that your card is dying, or isn't able to boost to the same speeds as before. New drivers might fix this by not allowing the same as high boost clock speeds which would be the <6% difference in scores. Not a huge problem but if you paid extra money for an OC'd card and you don't get that anymore I'd be mad. So fire something up and look at your clock speeds. Do they reach what they should?

Ethan Carlone

Honorable
Dec 16, 2015

I paid for the OC'ed version $469.99, and the texture glitches and crashes haven't happened since I installed the latest drivers. The card seems to be doing well on thermals, as it never exceeds 62 Celcius under load. But it confuses me on how the performance just drops. Should I install the old drivers again?

4745454b

Titan
I paid for the OC'ed version $469.99, and the texture glitches and crashes haven't happened since I installed the latest drivers. The card seems to be doing well on thermals, as it never exceeds 62 Celcius under load. But it confuses me on how the performance just drops. Should I install the old drivers again?

t might be that your card is dying, or isn't able to boost to the same speeds as before. New drivers might fix this by not allowing the same as high boost clock speeds which would be the <6% difference in scores.

I've bolded the important part of what I wrote. Again, check the clock speeds. Are you hitting what you should be hitting? It's very possible there is a new driver out that is preventing you from hitting the boost clock speeds you should be getting to maintain the better temps and prevent crashing/bad textures. If this is happening you aren't getting what you paid extra for. But until you measure we are only guessing.

Edit: Rolling back the driver might get you boosting back to where you were, but it could bring back crashes and bad textures. You'll have to measure the clock speeds with the different drivers in place. If you are lucky it was a bad driver loaded and everything is fine with a reinstall. If you are unlucky what I said earlier is the case and you need to return your card.

Ethan Carlone

Honorable
Dec 16, 2015

Ok, but how do I reinstall the old drivers? That very well may be the case, but both times I ran firestrike with the old and new drivers, the card boosted up to 2.038 Ghz each time. If the card is dying, could I get a replacement? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ4NG8542&cm_re=asus_strix_gtx_1070-_-14-126-109-_-Product is the link to the exact model.

4745454b

Titan
It's boosting higher then it's supposed to so you are good on the clock speed front. There can be mild differences in drivers but I wouldn't think that many. Uninstall the current drivers and install the older ones. Either from the .exe on your computer or from Nvidia's website.

Solution