[SOLVED] GPU had artifact only once

Mar 28, 2023
I am having an artifact once when playing CoD Cold War , it was in the main menu (I had quit the game and return to the main menu then I had it), but it never happen while in-game so far. After that, turn off my PC for a few hours then play the same game again, but this time there is no artifact whatsoever. I've been testing it on the same game and still so far no sign of artifact again, completely gone. But overall, it was a bad experience since I don't have enough VRAM (it keeps stuttering and loading the texture on the go)

Worth knowing that my PC specs are similar to the game min req and even slightly weaker..

Is that means my GPU is dying or is it just a random occurrence since I no longer have it after that even after testing it again with the same game in this last 2 days ?

I rarely playing any game that makes my GPU reaches dangerous temp before (I always checked on the hardware temp, playing any game before this and the highest I ever had was like around 78 degree, never touch above it)

I had it on another game which is Age of Empires 2 DE and no problem too but of course CoD are far more demanding than AoE 2 DE

My specs are : Intel Corei5 4460 - 8 GB DDR3 RAM - GTX 750Ti 2 GB - PSU Corsair CX650M Watt

Should I wait and see if it ever happen again or should I start thinking about getting new GPU ?

Last edited:
Solution
.Is dying GPU always artifacting at regular occurrence or even if it happened only once means the gpu always dying ?

No.

If there is any fault with the GPU's VRAM, then the artifacts will show up at regular intervals (or even be constant), or might even show up during the boot-up process in the BIOS screen let alone Windows, though a faulty GPU will have other symptoms as well, like the GPU getting overheated, running at low clocks, and GPU crashing the system during load, not just artifacts.

I think you worry too much. If no artifacts are showing up right now, then most likely your GPU is fine.
What sort of artifacts are you actually referring to ? Pixelated graphics, or any checkerboard pattern on the screen ? Can you post a screenshot, assuming it again reappears ?

I wouldn't worry too much since it happened only once, but if it is a recurring phenomenon, then maybe, yes there might some issue with your GPU. Or, it could be some other component as well. Not sure.

Try playing some more graphic demanding games and observe the behavior. If there are NO artifacts, glitches on the screen, then you are good to go. Are you on a SINGLE channel RAM setup, a single 8 GB stick ?

Always use a dual-channel setup. You could also try running some synthetic benchmarks to stress test the GPU.

An artifact observed only on the game's MAIN MENU, and not while playing the game points out that it could also be some other thing. Maybe just a Graphics glitch.

Which Monitor model do you have ? Having artifacts, and getting poor performance in any game are totally two different things. Also, the new COD games are very VRAM hungry, and your card also lacks video memory for this game to load all the textures on the fly.

Mar 28, 2023
Thx for the response metal, yes my RAM is an 1 stick 8 GB , how to make it run as dual channel ?

Im too panic so much that I forgot to take a screenshot to it, but it was like checkerboard (with white black red etc, covering the whole of the main menu screen) and it's only gone when Im back to Windows again..my monitor is LG 20MP48 19.5 inch

Actually soon after that, I did test my GPU with playing AoE 4 at max texture but medium settings for the rest, and had no artifact. But is AoE 4 demanding enough for a test ?

Thx

how to make it run as dual channel ?

You need to pair another identical RAM stick with the one you already have, matching the capacity and frequency/timings.

BUT before continuing further, it is important to point out that running single or dual-channel RAM has nothing to do with any in-game or screen artifacts. Artifacts are usually NOT related directly on the type of channel your system RAM has been installed and running. They mostly occur due to a faulty video memory/VRAM of the GPU.

Nonetheless, if you wish to run a dual-channel memory in future, you need to first make sure your current Motherboard supports it. Most of the motherboards already have support though. Which motherboard MODEL you have ?

You can check the documentation of the motherboard or visit the official website of your motherboard to determine whether your board supports dual-channel memory or not. The next step in the process would be to pick the perfect ram capacity and purchase identical ram modules which are compatible with your PC.

Once you have the ram modules with you, install them in the specific slots on your motherboard. The location of the slots can vary depending on the manufacturer of the motherboard. Typically, dual channel requires you to install the RAM modules in alternate slots.

For example, if your motherboard has 4 slots, then the first module should be installed in the first slot and the second module in the third slot. Most ATX motherboards usually have 4 DIMM slots and you can see that they are kind of color-coded. Now, the color depends on the type of motherboard you have, but there will always be at least 2 different colors for motherboards with 4 DIMM slots.

For 2 DIMM slots it's a different story. For example, installing RAM modules on A1 and B1 slots will enable dual-channel mode as well as A2 and B2. However, installing them in A1 and A2 will make them run in single-channel mode.

But is AoE 4 demanding enough for a test ?

You mean Age of Empires IV or some other game ? Assuming it is indeed Age of Empires IV game, then like most real-time strategy games, AOE 4 is quite heavy on the CPU, which is why it turned out to be a bit annoying that the game supposedly failed to fully utilize modern processors with many cores.

It's more of a CPU-bound game rather than GPU-intensive, but it still requires a decent video card to begin with.

Mar 28, 2023
Thx I will think about adding another memory stick, after the gpu problem has fixed, for now , is there any thing I can do to test the gpu, or should I ease my mind ?

Actually, yesterday I had tested it on both Age of Empires IV and CoD Cold War again and fortunately, no artifact shows up..Is dying GPU always artifacting at regular occurrence or even if it happened only once means the gpu always dying ?

Thx

.Is dying GPU always artifacting at regular occurrence or even if it happened only once means the gpu always dying ?

No.

If there is any fault with the GPU's VRAM, then the artifacts will show up at regular intervals (or even be constant), or might even show up during the boot-up process in the BIOS screen let alone Windows, though a faulty GPU will have other symptoms as well, like the GPU getting overheated, running at low clocks, and GPU crashing the system during load, not just artifacts.

I think you worry too much. If no artifacts are showing up right now, then most likely your GPU is fine.

Reactions: Manchester Town FC
Solution
Mar 28, 2023
Thank you, I appreciate your help, it eases my mind. I am almost thinking to purchase a new GPU just because of this which truth be told is not that cheap in where I do live even for a low entry GPU like 1050 Ti. For now, I will still use my GPU, hopefully it won't have any artifact ever again..

Oh I forgot to mention that my GPU vendor is Gigabyte, which uses solid capacitor (that's what written on it), is it really affect the durability and prolonging the life of my GPU ?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Thank you, I appreciate your help, it eases my mind. I am almost thinking to purchase a new GPU just because of this which truth be told is not that cheap in where I do live even for a low entry GPU like 1050 Ti. For now, I will still use my GPU, hopefully it won't have any artifact ever again..

Oh I forgot to mention that my GPU vendor is Gigabyte, which uses solid capacitor (that's what written on it), is it really affect the durability and prolonging the life of my GPU ?

No worries. Yeah, most of the modern GPUs are pretty expensive. I can understand that fear/concern. I'm also on the same boat, since I want to upgrade my AMD RX 480 despite the card working flawlessly on my PC.

Anyway, it's good to know the GPU vendor is Gigabyte.

zx128k

Reputable
You can test the card vram and make sure it has no issues. Also there could be driver issues that can cause problems. Check the driver notes for known issues. Somethings the next driver update can state they fixed an issue with the game you are playing. Overclocking issues can also cause problems. Also corruption of files.

Mar 28, 2023
How to test VRAM ? Does playing game also counted as testing the VRAM ? My GPU driver is up to date actually, and the latest game released I played was Age of Empires IV which was released almost a year ago, after this, I didn't play any newer game anymore as my specs are not up to it anymore. Even CoD Cold War is even older than AoE IV

Thx