Question Gpu hanging and crashing (possible tdr issue)

Feb 10, 2020
I have posted this on Reddit as well, but I will also post here in hopes of getting some insight
I have noticed that underclocking and/or slightly overvolting my gpu seems to make it more stable or at least last longer before crashing

Original Reddit post:
I have recently been very into playing Modern Warfare, and i downloaded a patch to the game a couple weeks ago. After downloading the patch, I had noticed that the game started to crash in every single match of any mode with "Dev Error 6068. DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable issue." I tried all of the fixes that people have tried for this issue, including lowering settings, but nothing worked (It's also a 2080 ti, so I shouldn't have to lower settings). Underclocking my card only delayed the time it would take to crash.
Thinking that it was just an issue with cod, since it is mentioned directly on their known issues board, I decided to focus on a different game while maybe waiting for an update for cod to come out that mentioned something about fixing crashes. I decided to get back into overwatch, not a very demanding game at all. However, when I now start a match in overwatch, I will guaranteed crash in every single match, no matter settings, with an error that says: "Rendering device has been lost! Application closing!"
I never used to get any issues like this at all until a couple weeks ago, around when I installed a Call of Duty patch. I thought it was just a game isolated issue, but it now seems to be happening in every single game that I try to play. Benchmarks like UNIGINE Heaven run completely fine for hours, with only minor stutters here and there. I'm currently trying to talk with ASUS support (Nvidia support told me to just go to them). I really hope my card isn't becoming faulty. Anyone have any idea what might be going wrong here?
All of my drivers and whatnot are up to date. No corruption on drives or defragging needed. Memory tests come up clear. At a loss. BONUS: on top of this, every now and then my Windows boot seems to just corrupt... out of nowhere. I don't do anything on my desktop other than game and watch youtube. I will just go to restart on a random day and Windows will decide that it is just never going to boot, looping endlessly and leading me to revert to a backup or do a clean install. Last time happened about a month ago. I'm only mentioning this issue in the case that it could in some way be related to my gpu issue.
Specs: R7 3700x, Asus Strix rtx 2080 ti, 16gb ddr4 3200 RAM, Aorus x570 mobo w/ latest BIOS, 500gb SATA ssd, 1tb hdd (used solely for just picture storage), 620/30W Seagate psu

UPDATE:
I left my computer off for a couple of days to just play on my laptop and talk with asus customer support. Out of curiosity, I took my tower side panel off and wiggled around my gpu and the power cables a bit. After starting it up for the first time in a few days, I seemed to be able to once again finish matches in both games, and I was excited. The issue seemed to be solved. Happy after (more than a few) solid hours with no crashes, I put my side panel back on (noting that there wasn't really any dust buildup on my filters). About an hour later, after going all day without issue, my gpu is back to crashing every 5-10 minutes, and only in games. I'm completely at a loss. My psu shows normal voltages on the rails in my BIOS, no fluctuation either. In event viewer, it flags a display error with the details "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I have tried increasing the tdr timeout time, but to no avail.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020
What the cpu/gpu temp during the game? with and without the side panel off?
GPU temps don't go above 71-72 degrees with the panel on. I don't think the panel on or off was the issue, it's just that after I took it off to wiggle stuff around, I also thought to try underclocking, which helped