Question GPU Heatsink/Shroud Repair - Office Staples

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

I have a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC and the plastic stand offs that connext the shroud to the heatsink have deterioated off (dam cheap plastic).

I was just going to puncture a little hole underneath where the screw originally goes on the standoff and put a staple from that hole into the hole on the heatsink fin originally meant for the screw to hold it in place or some kind other metal wire.

Are office staple safe? I did some quick research and the heat is fine for it. You can also shape them which is nice. The other option was super glue but that makes it hard in the future for disassembly.

Would love any feedback. Thank you!

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
More needs to be known. As I understand (or not) the plan seems very risky.

Take a couple of photographs to show and explain the situation.

Post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).
View: https://imgur.com/a/EeRmRLV

Okay so the plastic stand off goes in between the grill of the other image and a screw goes in between both of them to make them one. But the top part of the plastic is broken so the screw is just hanging.

I am thinking to put a tiny hole in the plastic and inserting a staple from the plastic hole to the heatsink hole. Twisting both ends of the staple so it won't come out of the hole.

On paper it seems fine so it's just gives a bit of support but I'm not sure if a staple is conductive or dangerous in anyway.

Thank you :)

Ralston18

Titan
The photographs help but I am still not sure about the plan to secure them together.

I am thinking a small tie-wrap perhaps - not at all sure if that is workable.

Drilling a tiny hole likely be problematic. The plastic may not be able to withstand drilling

Staple: not sure what is meant by staple. There are many types available - mostly metal....

I would avoid using anything metallic or potentially conductive.

And be very cautious overall.

Are you able to lay the grill into place and take another photograph or two? Include the intended staple and show its' size.

With some indication of where the plastic and grill need to be secured together. Location for the hole?

Not a direct solution per se: but there is no harm in being careful about it all.

Plus other members may be able to work out potential solutions based on the photographs above and/or some additional images.