[SOLVED] GPU High Power Usage

May 1, 2020
Hi
So couple of days ago I tried to change the fan curve and I noticed something I dont know if it's actually normal.
To see the temp at a realistic stress test I used Unigine Heaven the temp didnt go higher than 60 and the fan speed was around 58%
I use MSI Afterburner for monitoring And I noticed power usage(Not GPU Usage) was around %98-99%
I think in Unigine Heaven It's normal for GTX 1070 with 1974 CC to have around 99% power usage.
So I increased the fan speed again at 85% And I noticed the power usage sometimes goes to %103-%101 is it normal that the fan speed effect the power consumption?
The power limit at MSI Afterburner is 100% so the power usage in monitoring shouldn't go higher than 100% but it went to 101% I dont know if it's normal
The Max Power limit is 111% for GTX 1070 G1 gaming
And another thing after making the fan curve I lunched a game in Early access(Foundation)And I noticed the power usage went to 109% and even in GPU-Z the reason of limiting GPU was Pwr.
I dont know if it's normal but why power usage goes higher than 100% which is not meant to go ?(The power limit in MSI Afterburner was always 100%)
GTX 1070 G1 gaming
PSU: 650s 80plus gold (3 years old)

Your card GTX10xx has a feature called GPU Boost 3.0 which automatically overclocks the GPU as GPU temps allow. Have you noticed that your GPU frequency under load is almost always higher than what it says on the manufacturer's website?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gebhard
May 1, 2020
Your card has a feature called GPU Boost 3.0 which automatically overclocks the GPU as GPU temps allow. Have you noticed that your GPU frequency under load is almost always higher than what it says on the manufacturer's website?
Well yes Gpu Boost effects the power usage
In Unigine Heaven as I said Core Clock was 1974 so the GPU Boost was overclocking
But still the power usage was 99% (Didnt go even 100%)
But when I changed the fan speed to 85% the power usage slightly went up to like 101-103
Does fan speed affect power usage?
what happens if you leave all the fans on auto also if cpu is a 4 pins one should be set as pwm the 3 pins from case as dc fans in bios .
Unfortuantly where Im living is quite hot so that's why I had to make fan curve to run at 33% when temp is 41
All the fan are on pwm so the cpu temp doesnt go higher than 48
And it doesnt change anything changing them from DC to PWM or to Auto

Well yes Gpu Boost effects the power usage
In Unigine Heaven as I said Core Clock was 1974 so the GPU Boost was overclocking
But still the power usage was 99% (Didnt go even 100%)
But when I changed the fan speed to 85% the power usage slightly went up to like 101-103
Does fan speed affect power usage

Ok it hits 1974MHz on auto fans. What frequency is it hitting when you set fan speed to 85%?

This isn't a big deal. I'm just trying to help you understand what's going on.

May 1, 2020
name and model of your case and how many fans you have in .
Coolermaster Mastercase pro 5
3 intake infront
1 exhaust
2 for WaterCooler on top
On idle GPU temp is 40 With no fan spinning
33 with fan spinning at 33%
CPU temp under load around 48 or less
Ok it hits 1974MHz on auto fans. What frequency is it hitting when you set fan speed to 85%?

This isn't a big deal. I'm just trying to help you understand what's going on.
Still the same CC 1974 or 1949 around that
Yeah I know the card is functioning normal it's just I want to know is it normal or not
The temp is normal I guess In games it doesnt go higher than 56
Doom Eternal and Tomb Raider are good games for testing the gpu but I dont have enough space to install them again
The game I tested was in early access and isnt optimized so it may have something to do with that

May 1, 2020
Most modern GPUs from the past 3ish years will turn off their fans below ~55C. They target ~75C by regulating fan speeds.

Trying to keep temps that low under load with 85% fans is just unnecessary noise. Anything under 80C is perfectly safe.
Yeah that' right but still should fan speed affect the power usage?
That's what I want to know