[SOLVED] GPU High usage stutters in games?

SanZ13

Prominent
Dec 2, 2021
Hello so i get a lot of stutters in games i think that its due to a high GPU usage but i dont really know. I was playing GTA V and my CPU usage was 60% while GPU usage was 100%. Any ideas how to fix?

PC Specs:
GPU: Intel UHD 630
CPU: Intel Core i3 10100
HDD Drive 460gb
Ram: 8gb ddr4 [1x8]

Solution
Stutters often are not caused by the GPU being at 100%. It's often caused by the CPU having trouble keeping up for some reason. The CPU is responsible for determining the maximum FPS, with the GPU responsible for getting up to that performance. Also CPU usage is not a clear indication of a bottleneck unless it's close to 100% (I'd say 90% +). There are plenty of situations in an application where a single thread can hose up the performance. In the case of DX11 games, a single thread still is responsible for sending commands to the GPU.

The only time I can think of if a GPU stutters is because there's suddenly a massive amount of stuff to render. But the CPU would also be impacted because it has to account for all of those things...
Hello so i get a lot of stutters in games i think that its due to a high GPU usage but i dont really know. I was playing GTA V and my CPU usage was 60% while GPU usage was 100%. Any ideas how to fix?

PC Specs:
GPU: Intel UHD 630
CPU: Intel Core i3 10100
HDD Drive 460gb
Ram: 8gb ddr4 [1x8]
@rgd1101 is spot on.
You have only 8GB of single stick ram. Any "gaming rig" needs 16GB of dual channel (dual stick) RAM in the correct motherboard slots (refer to motherboard's manual).

Lowering the resolution will alleviate some pressure from GPU but it will put more on CPU.

Using HDD does not help either. A SSD will help both the system and the games you play.

Getting a gpu will help also but not so much GTA V as other games. If doing the previous helped a lot with the performance and you are satisfied then you can skip this.

Reactions: Phaaze88

SanZ13

Prominent
Dec 2, 2021
@rgd1101 is spot on.
You have only 8GB of single stick ram. Any "gaming rig" needs 16GB of dual channel (dual stick) RAM in the correct motherboard slots (refer to motherboard's manual).

Lowering the resolution will alleviate some pressure from GPU but it will put more on CPU.

Using HDD does not help either. A SSD will help both the system and the games you play.

Getting a gpu will help also but not so much GTA V as other games. If doing the previous helped a lot with the performance and you are satisfied then you can skip this.

I will get an gtx 1050 ti and another 8gb of ram soon i think is that going to do any better?

Stutters often are not caused by the GPU being at 100%. It's often caused by the CPU having trouble keeping up for some reason. The CPU is responsible for determining the maximum FPS, with the GPU responsible for getting up to that performance. Also CPU usage is not a clear indication of a bottleneck unless it's close to 100% (I'd say 90% +). There are plenty of situations in an application where a single thread can hose up the performance. In the case of DX11 games, a single thread still is responsible for sending commands to the GPU.

The only time I can think of if a GPU stutters is because there's suddenly a massive amount of stuff to render. But the CPU would also be impacted because it has to account for all of those things to render unless the render command was somehow "render this single object a billion times." Otherwise the source of stuttering I think of is the GPU is hitting a limiter condition, but that shouldn't cause stuttering since limiter conditions tend to happen for longer than a blip.

But in any case, getting another 8GB stick of RAM to enable dual channeling may help.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution