[SOLVED] GPU instability?

TiggyDee

Prominent
Aug 3, 2019
I've been having some instability while playing games after upgrading my systems GPU. The instability is occasional FPS stutters that last for a second or so before returning to normal FPS. My rig is a pre-built Dell Inspiron 5676 and I initially thought the dodgy power supply was the issue so I upgraded that, but the problem persisted. I went and installed the old GPU which came with the system, a RX 580, and gaming seemed a little more stable, although there were occasional stuttering. I also went through with proper driver clean up using DDU so that couldn't be the problem. Here's a screenshot of MSI afterburner stats. The instability is shown near the start with the GPU and PSU usage dropping mid gaming. View: https://imgur.com/a/vr9eX1V
Here's another screenshot from a AC Odyssey benchmark
View: https://imgur.com/a/KWohkFt

Any suggestion helps!

PC Specs:
Dell Pre-built Inspiron 5676
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
GPU (Upgraded): MSI RTX 2060 Ventus OC
PSU (Upgraded): EVGA 500 W1 80+ White
RAM: Hynix 2x8Gb DDR4 2400Mhz

Solution
Ive been using the same displayport cable for the GPU that came with the system and the new one installed so I dont think the cable is the issue here. The instability only started occurring a couple days after installing the new GPU.

Sounds reasonable. I'm not sure the RX 580 RX 590 cards are our best bets for system stability. In fact my RX 590 Nitro has been rma'd and the replacement may be coming this next week.

If you do a google search on RX 580 and words like "instability" "black screen" etc. you're going to find a disconcerting number of hits. And an abundance of things that you can try. Mentally I've pretty much moved on. If the RMA'd RX 590 doesn't work I'm going to stick it in the build upstairs (for some...

dascaluandrei

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
I've been having some instability while playing games after upgrading my systems GPU. The instability is occasional FPS stutters that last for a second or so before returning to normal FPS. My rig is a pre-built Dell Inspiron 5676 and I initially thought the dodgy power supply was the issue so I upgraded that, but the problem persisted. I went and installed the old GPU which came with the system, a RX 580, and gaming seemed a little more stable, although there were occasional stuttering. I also went through with proper driver clean up using DDU so that couldn't be the problem. Here's a screenshot of MSI afterburner stats. The instability is shown near the start with the GPU and PSU usage dropping mid gaming. View: https://imgur.com/a/vr9eX1V

Any suggestion helps!

PC Specs:
Prefer maximum performance in NVidia control panel.
Max power settings in Windows.
Check Vsync settings in Nvidia Control Panel.

Reactions: gn842a

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I suggest HDMI or Displayport for GPU connection to monitor. This is an upgrade that can cost ten bucks or so. I'm not saying fiddling with the power settings and updating the BIOS and all that does not work, but the thing is, a game should work at standard settings. It might not work in the sense of being kicka$$ performance, but it should not destabilize your system.

By contrast cables are under-rated as a source of system failure. And you can install drivers and updates till the cows come home, if you have a defective cable nothing is going to work until you replace it. I spent three weeks chasing some performance issues, finally pulled the DVI-D and put in a displayport. It opened my eyes. O.O (and I confess it was my friends who made me do it) So keep that in mind.

If you're already using dp or hdmi so much the better, but when I read about cables on Newegg i'm always surprised to see people reporting issues even with brand new cables. I've been flirting with the idea of getting some extra cables to keep in the closet so I can test cables before I waste a lot of time chasing other problems when they occur. Cable testing is so easy to do, and monitor to gpu connection issues is always a possibility when talking about freezes, stutters, green screens, black screens, mouse lag, etc.

Last edited:

TiggyDee

Prominent
Aug 3, 2019
I suggest HDMI or Displayport for GPU connection to monitor. This is an upgrade that can cost ten bucks or so. I'm not saying fiddling with the power settings and updating the BIOS and all that does not work, but the thing is, a game should work at standard settings. It might not work in the sense of being kicka$$ performance, but it should not destabilize your system.

By contrast cables are under-rated as a source of system failure. And you can install drivers and updates till the cows come home, if you have a defective cable nothing is going to work until you replace it. I spent three weeks chasing some performance issues, finally pulled the DVI-D and put in a displayport. It opened my eyes. O.O (and I confess it was my friends who made me do it) So keep that in mind.

If you're already using dp or hdmi so much the better, but when I read about cables on Newegg i'm always surprised to see people reporting issues even with brand new cables. I've been flirting with the idea of getting some extra cables to keep in the closet so I can test cables before I waste a lot of time chasing other problems when they occur. Cable testing is so easy to do, and monitor to gpu connection issues is always a possibility when talking about freezes, stutters, green screens, black screens, mouse lag, etc.

Ive been using the same displayport cable for the GPU that came with the system and the new one installed so I dont think the cable is the issue here. The instability only started occurring a couple days after installing the new GPU.

Reactions: gn842a

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

Sounds reasonable. I'm not sure the RX 580 RX 590 cards are our best bets for system stability. In fact my RX 590 Nitro has been rma'd and the replacement may be coming this next week.

If you do a google search on RX 580 and words like "instability" "black screen" etc. you're going to find a disconcerting number of hits. And an abundance of things that you can try. Mentally I've pretty much moved on. If the RMA'd RX 590 doesn't work I'm going to stick it in the build upstairs (for some reason it is stable on the five year old build) and think about a GTX 1660 for my new build. Something is amiss in the RX 580 world, IMO.

Here is an RX 590 green screen crash for your enjoyment. (youtube video) It's not a heat effect because the Unigine logo is white on black and when you see it green instantly, you know it's crashing. Then you get the green screen wash out, then you get the benchmark running in green.

The odd thing is that my R9-380 gpu with only 2 gigs ram can do this test and get through it at highest ("extreme") levels without crashing, even though Unigine warns you not to do it. But the Nitro RX 590 folds like a house of cards.

Good luck,

Greg N

Solution

TiggyDee

Prominent
Aug 3, 2019

If you do a google search on RX 580 and words like "instability" "black screen" etc. you're going to find a disconcerting number of hits. And an abundance of things that you can try. Mentally I've pretty much moved on. If the RMA'd RX 590 doesn't work I'm going to stick it in the build upstairs (for some reason it is stable on the five year old build) and think about a GTX 1660 for my new build. Something is amiss in the RX 580 world, IMO.

Here is an RX 590 green screen crash for your enjoyment. (youtube video) It's not a heat effect because the Unigine logo is white on black and when you see it green instantly, you know it's crashing. Then you get the green screen wash out, then you get the benchmark running in green.

The odd thing is that my R9-380 gpu with only 2 gigs ram can do this test and get through it at highest ("extreme") levels without crashing, even though Unigine warns you not to do it. But the Nitro RX 590 folds like a house of cards.

Good luck,

Greg N
Funny thing is my system was a lot more stable while gaming with my RX 580 in. The stuttering only really occurs when I have my RTX 2060 installed.

TiggyDee

Prominent
Aug 3, 2019

Any suggestion helps!

PC Specs:
I think I found someone else who has a similar problem as I do and he hasn't had the problem fixed either. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/sudden-gpu-usage-power-drop-gtx970.2304896/

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You replaced Dell's dodgy power supply with another dodgy power supply.
The 500 White is one of EVGA's junk psus.

2400mhz ram is slow for Ryzen. These cpus run better with 3000-3733mhz ram.

It's running smooth on one card, and not the other? You're uninstalling the old drivers, then installing new as you're doing this, right?

What's the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor?
Are your motherboard's drivers up to date?

dascaluandrei

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
I would suggest a fresh install of Windows, I've had my fair share of failures b/c of DDU. also also, you can try a BIOS (UEFI) reset from the button / jumper on the mobo. That helps sometimes when switching gpu manufacturers.