[SOLVED] GPU instantly crashes after reaching 100% usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2022
Hi guys,

I upgraded my CPU and now I got somehow GPU problems. I had the r5 2600x before, now the 5600x. I already tried to uninstall chipset drivers, installing new bios, uninstalling with DDU and installing drivers again. Nothing worked.

I didnt have any problems with my PC before the upgrade, so I really dont know why its not working now.

Here are my PC Specs:
  • 650 Watt Corsair TX-M Series TX650M Modular 80+ Gold
  • rx 580
  • ryzen 5 5600x
  • b450-f gaming motherboard

Reactions: itsamdee
Solution
You may need to lower the GPU's clock speed. Having too high of a clock speed tends to be the cause of a lot of reliability issues. And assuming the RX 580 is as old as it gets, it could be reaching that point where the GPU can't reliably handle those clock speeds it once could.

It doesn't have to be drastic. It could just be as low as 25MHz as mentioned above.

Tugrul_512bit

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Could be also this:

• old CPU was not pushing GPU to the max and GPU was not stable at max load
  • new CPU pushed it to the max and it broke stability
  • or new CPU is taking more power from PSU and it causes stability issues on GPU again
Did you try lowering GPU frequency for a small step like 25MHz?

Sep 8, 2022
Have you monitored your CPU temps at all? Also do you still have your 2600x? Might be worth putting it back in, to rule out a dud of a CPU.
Could be also this:

• old CPU was not pushing GPU to the max and GPU was not stable at max load
  • new CPU pushed it to the max and it broke stability
  • or new CPU is taking more power from PSU and it causes stability issues on GPU again
Did you try lowering GPU frequency for a small step like 25MHz?
  • cpu temps dont go above 70 at full load, stress test 1h
  • No I didnt lower the GPU frequency
Btw, theres some really weird going on, my gpu crashes only once. I could replicate this problem 3 times already, after one crash it doesnt crash anymore. It will crash again after I reboot my PC again and stress test my gpu, but only once.

You may need to lower the GPU's clock speed. Having too high of a clock speed tends to be the cause of a lot of reliability issues. And assuming the RX 580 is as old as it gets, it could be reaching that point where the GPU can't reliably handle those clock speeds it once could.

It doesn't have to be drastic. It could just be as low as 25MHz as mentioned above.

Solution
Sep 8, 2022

alright seems like you were right. I lowered it from 1491 to 1465, still crashed. But at 1400 it doesnt crash anymore.

I bought the rx580 in 2017 and since then it always worked hard for my fps. Hopefully it will last till the GPU prices get normal again....

Edit: I also undervolted the card, just to be safe.

Last edited:
alright seems like you were right. I lowered it from 1491 to 1465, still crashed. But at 1400 it doesnt crash anymore.

I bought the rx580 in 2017 and since then it always worked hard for my fps. Hopefully it will last till the GPU prices get normal again....

Given the card's age, undervolting may not help here. But if you're not having any problems, then I won't tell you to do otherwise.

logainofhades

Titan

I don't expect GPU pricing is going to get much better, than it is right now. Many are at MSRP, with many of AMD's cards being below MSRP.

Aug 23, 2023

Thank you man, it really helps me, I am having same problem when i play rdr2, GPU usage is 100%, and after that flickring starts and then there just white screen, pc crashed.

Now i lower the core clock -25Mhz in Afterburner, and huhu everything works fine.

Pc specs-

Ryzen 3 3100
Gtx 1650 super
16 gb ram 3200
450watt psu

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS