[SOLVED] GPU Lag Spikes And Stutters/ GPU core clock drops

Dec 22, 2019
Hi, i´m having this problem for months now. When i´m playing certain games, i´m getting massive lags after like 5 to 10 minutes. They appear for some seconds and disappear again, it runs with 120 fps, but after about half a minute or less, they are coming back for another couple of seconds. They appear in games like Code Vain, FF XV, Sekiro, even Spellforce 2 and Risk of Rain 2, games that are not that resource hungry and considering my setup, shouldn´t drive my notebook to the edge of explosion. I had very little problems with Jedi Fallen Order, but there were also micro-stutters.
When i´m playing Risk of Rain 2 and there´s too much going on on the screen, i´m having 20 fps maybe. For Example. And I don´t know what to do, I tried many things.
Peculiar thing, the lags start after a couple of minutes into the game. In every game.

• Reinstalling drivers with DDU.
  • Changing almost every possible gaming related software options and programs, in various combinations.
  • Deactivating Anti-Virus/Firewall
  • Scanning my notebook for viruses
  • Deactivating my onboard graphics (Which ended in even more lags)
  • Trying every options in the nvidia control panel (V-Sync, preferred processor stuff, quality and performance options, EVERYTHING ☹)
  • Updating every driver
  • Removing every driver and downloading the drivers from the MSI support site
MSI GE73VR 7RF Raider
  • Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ
  • GeForce® GTX 1070
  • Samsung 860 SSD
  • 16 gb DDR4-2400
  • 120-Hz-Panel (IPS, 17inch)
I´ve run GPU-Z while playing Sekiro:
View: https://imgur.com/ci0wMzV

View: https://imgur.com/pmdbqK3

When you look at the sensor tab, you see the peaks/drops i talked about at the GPU Core Clock. Also the Memory Controll Load seems to be out of place.

Currently the drivers from the MSI-support site are installed, but i assume it doesn´t make a difference by now, i have the same problem to the same extend with the newest updates.
Im desperate, i don´t know what to do and i really don´t want to buy me a new machine, the setup isn´t that bad, even for 2020.

Kind regards...

Last edited:
Solution
Your GPU is running at 90C, which is pretty hot. It's probably thermally throttling. What is max CPU temp?

Make sure the laptop vents aren't obstructed at all, and clean the laptop if you haven't recently. Dust the fans/heatsink fins with compressed air.

If that doesn't fix it you may have to look into things like undervolting and/or underclocking the GPU (and possibly the CPU, depending on its temp). Re-applying thermal paste is also another option you may have to explore.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Your GPU is running at 90C, which is pretty hot. It's probably thermally throttling. What is max CPU temp?

Make sure the laptop vents aren't obstructed at all, and clean the laptop if you haven't recently. Dust the fans/heatsink fins with compressed air.

If that doesn't fix it you may have to look into things like undervolting and/or underclocking the GPU (and possibly the CPU, depending on its temp). Re-applying thermal paste is also another option you may have to explore.

Solution
Dec 22, 2019
CPU running at about 94C max. But if it´s a thermal problem, freeing the fans and the vents could solve both problems.
I will try cleaning it tomorrow.
Thanks!