[SOLVED] GPU, MOBO, or PSU issues?

cooldaddy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Asus Z87-A Mobo
i7 - 4770k
Seasonic 850FW GPU (Corsair 650TX is the older spare PSU)
EVGA 1070 SC
G.Skill TridentX 16GB DDR3

PC shutoff randomly while running. Tried turning it back on but absolutely nothing would happen. I could see the ethernet port lights on and a single green LED on, on the bottom right corner of the board.

Unsure what the issue was, I decided to test with an older but working PSU. As soon as I tried turning it on, I saw smoke coming from the GPU and nothing would work. When I removed the GPU and all other external (to the motherboard) components, I got the older PSU to post but the original PSU seems dead.

I ordered a PSU tester and just tested both. Both are reading L.L for 12v2 which I believe indicated its reading too low of a voltage on that rail. Unsure what that indicates other than something damaged both PSUs. First PSU is modular but old is not, so separate cables were used.

Combinations I have tried:

Main PC with main PSU: Will not boot at all, tries for a second and then shuts off.

Main PC with old PSU: I can get it to boot into the BIOS, but it will not boot into windows off the SDD.

Old PC with main PSU: I can get it to boot into windows, BUT the fan on the PSU never turns on.

Old PC with old PSU: Boots into windows and runs fine.

Questions I have:

Is it possible the GPU damaged both PSUs?

Could it be the motherboard as the culprit? If so, how do I identify this? I don't see any burn marks.

Whats my next steps here to pinpoint the issue and get replacements?

Images below of motherboard and GPU bus showing no signs of damage.

Inb6yul.jpg

Bml7uFD.jpg

QYLn1LS.jpg

xD1thwW.jpg

Any other troubleshooting suggestions or thoughts?

Solution
then the new psu is out and might also have it the board or other parts see if your ssd show in another system as second drive .

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
SMoke is a terrible thing to see with electronics. That smoke could be anything, but something got so hot that it smoked. I would pull all my components and try them on an older motherboard one by one not all at the same time, and see what the damaged goods are.

cooldaddy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

The smoke either came from the GPU or from the board under where it sits as it flowed up through the card and the card heasink, but I am 99% sure it was the GPU as I could still smell the burning on the GPU once I removed it.

cooldaddy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not sure I see what you are referencing. Here's another picture with flash on and I got rid of some dust.

Inb6yul.jpg

cooldaddy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

Ok, heres an update of what I have tried. I cannot get the main pc to load an OS to even run occt.

Main PC with main PSU: Will not boot at all, tries for a second and then shuts off.

Main PC with old PSU: I can get it to boot into the BIOS, but it will not boot into windows off the SDD.

Old PC with main PSU: I can get it to boot into windows, BUT the fan on the PSU never turns on.

Old PC with old PSU: Boots into windows and runs fine.