GPU montage problem

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I recently noticed that when installing the GPU,the screwing plate hits the case frame before the card fits the PCI slot.The right side of the card fits in,but the left side remains above a few milimeters.
The cards "seems" to function,but I wanted to make sure and ask if it could cause any problems.

The relative components:
Asus P7P55DE-Deluxe
GTX 470
Thermaltake Aguila

Thanks =)

If the contacts are making enough contact in the slot for it to run, then it should be fine. If the contacts are just barely making contact, you might get problems with them loosing contact due to normal expansion/shrinking from heat/cooling or if anything makes the case vibrate (like even an HDD or DVD running). A few mm is not likely to be an issue.

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Actually there was another motherboard in the case before I installed the new one.I didn't notice anything the first time installing the GPU,I realized it after opening the case to replace the graphics card to test something.
Actually,I also had hard time fitting the cover plate to the case.You know,the cover plate for the PS2,ethernet and Usb ports of the motherboard.(Shield,was it?)

Anyway,the standoffs come with the case right?

The standoffs are normally little hex nut/screws that screw into a plate on the case and then the screws going through the motherboard go into them They keep the motherboard elevated off of the case panel. If you dont have those you risk shorting the motherboard out against the case panel.

Yes, theres enough posts on here to testify to that lol,
it is one of the more embarrassing things to forget on a build, yet also one of the simplest and more often done, even by experienced builders
some cases have raised dome-things in place of standoffs, but I always check the mobo height against the shield area on those, just in case :)
Pcie cards not sitting right is often the first thing to make people notice the problem,that and the psu shutting off suddenly etc
The I/O shield covers can be a little tricky to insert properly into a case, check the orientation of the shield,then I lay one long edge in first, the one closest to the 'floor' (if case is lying on its right hand side)then crack the other side down quite sharply, lastly just push on the short sides to check they sit in right, luckily you dont usually have to remove them once there in :)
Moto