Question GPU / MotherBoard Match

Jul 25, 2022
Hey!

im looking at upgrading my GPU and the different options I’m currently reviewing are GeForce RTX 3070, 3RTX 3080. Both are probably going to be more than I need so should last long enough. it will come down to what I can find on sale.

Anyways.. my question. Ill be swapping this out myself and I’m trying to determine if they are compatible with my Motherboard. I have a MSI Z87-G45 which has third gen slots. These cards have 4th gen. I’ve read online that might not matter but I have no clue how to determine that.

aAny help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is a very odd website. That chart doesn't make a lot of sense for the 30 series.

Pretty much all 3080 non founder's edition require 3 8-pin power connectors and the recommendation from say, Nvidia, would be 850W. Not to mention that some PSUs have issues with transient power spikes from the 30 series. These can trip the over current protection on PSUs and cause them to shut down.

Which exact PSU do you have?

i7-4790k is adequate, but you won't be getting the most out of even a 3070. Unless you plan to run 4K as a resolution. If you only have a 1080p monitor, 3070 is about as high as I would go. Unless you plan replacing the core components of the computer in the near future.

Reactions: CompuGuy71
Jul 25, 2022
Make/model of power supply?

What are you intending to use the computer for? Presumably gaming? What resolution?

Using for gaming. Resolution1920x1080. I’d like to gradually upgrade components overtime. PSU is corsair RM850. 4K isn’t currently an immediate goal of mine. Mostly because it hasn’t been an option. I don’t have the monitors for it anyways, and don’t want to invest in that now. Down the road, I might.

You will have no problems with any motherboard and even a 3080 card and an excellent rm850w psu.
When looking at 3080 class cards, some will have a requirement for two 8 pin connectors, and the factory overclocked units may well have a need for three 8 pin connectors.
I have found the realhardtech chart linked above to be very useful.
For cards not on the chart, look for units with the same number and types of connectors.
Then also, wattage does not tell the whole story.
Older or cheap units will not deliver what is advertised. Quality counts.For 1080P gaming, 3080 is much more than enough.
You may be more limited by your cpu.
"Future proofing" does not usually pay.
New products bring better price/performance.
Usually better to buy what you need when you need it.

Run a simple test now.

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

Using for gaming. Resolution1920x1080. I’d like to gradually upgrade components overtime. PSU is corsair RM850. 4K isn’t currently an immediate goal of mine. Mostly because it hasn’t been an option. I don’t have the monitors for it anyways, and don’t want to invest in that now. Down the road, I might.

Either GPU would work fine, but you'll probably be leaving performance on the table at 1080p since the CPU won't be able to keep up. However, don't let that discourage you from getting either since you'll be able to use it in the future when you decide to step up to 2K or 4K monitors.

Jul 25, 2022
Either GPU would work fine, but you'll probably be leaving performance on the table at 1080p since the CPU won't be able to keep up. However, don't let that discourage you from getting either since you'll be able to use it in the future when you decide to step up to 2K or 4K monitors.

Thanks everyone for your help!