Question GPU not appearing in Task Manager's "Performance" tab ?

May 2, 2022
Basically when i manually view gpu under processes and performance it shows nothing. I have updated my gpu drivers today, have reinstalled gpu driver twice with a clean install after DDU'ing the driver. Also updated my windows

Edit: My dxdiag file is showing my 3080 ti with the driver modle being "WDDM 2.7" and my gpu does show up in my device manager. Yet it wont show in task manager. All of the pictures of dxdiag + gpu driver + task manager are shown in the post below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lordinu
May 2, 2022
qwHLRfe.png
ez9PzfX.png
uAI2xM7.png
mMnAT3O.png
i4dqJrR.png

definitely odd that Windows' GUI doesn't communicate with the card.

even in the Task Manager's "Processes" tab you would normally see 1-2% usage with basic desktop use.
here it shows 0%.

are you connected to the dedicated GPU and not the motherboard's rear I/O(iGPU)?

include your complete system specs with make & model of all components and their time is use.

Reactions: RavageMyRiven
May 2, 2022
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 LGA 1700
Processor: 15th Gen Intel(R) core(TM) i5-12600K (16 CPUs), ~3.7 Hz
Ram: Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
GPU: Nvidia 3080 ti FE
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ GOLD.
Storage: 970 EVO NVME M.2 SSD 1TB

The last time i checked my task manager was like a month ago, and was working. After I moved to a new house, noticed that gpu wasn't being "noticed" in the task manager. I did also double check my PC, making sure everything was plugged firmly, as moving my pc may have caused some stability issues or whatever, but nothing was loose.

I had a flakey issue similar to this a few weeks ago and my audio also stopped working through my hdmi port. I never really got to the bottom of it, it just corrected itself over the next few days. I wrote it off as a windows update issue as something seems to get broken often when microsoft pushes updates.

Did you try gpuz to see if it reads the card?

May 2, 2022
I had a flakey issue similar to this a few weeks ago and my audio also stopped working through my hdmi port. I never really got to the bottom of it, it just corrected itself over the next few days. I wrote it off as a windows update issue as something seems to get broken often when microsoft pushes updates.

Did you try gpuz to see if it reads the card?
I have, it does read my gpu.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 LGA 1700
Processor: 15th Gen Intel(R) core(TM) i5-12600K (16 CPUs), ~3.7 Hz
Ram: Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
GPU: Nvidia 3080 ti FE
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ GOLD.
Storage: 970 EVO NVME M.2 SSD 1TB

The last time i checked my task manager was like a month ago, and was working. After I moved to a new house, noticed that gpu wasn't being "noticed" in the task manager. I did also double check my PC, making sure everything was plugged firmly, as moving my pc may have caused some stability issues or whatever, but nothing was loose.
Just a wag.
Are you sure the monitor is plugged into the gpu?
Perhaps try a different port on the gpu.

Lordinu

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Hm, I think this might be some update related issue, it just happened to me too, with a 3600TI Gigabyte. Just came here to make a post. I did have an issue 1 or 2 days ago, when I wake up and tried to use the PC it was extremely laggy, even for a text file. So I restarted and things were fine. Also today while playing ARK suddenly I went to 10-12 FPS for no reason. Tho that might be Ark related, other people had the same issue. That's how I ended up checking the Performance tab, wanted to see on my second display what happens when playing.

The GPU tab worked before, because I used it, and it was even selected on the Performance tab today, but empty. Selecting the CPU didn't allow me to go back to it tho.

GPU-Z and dxdiag see the GPU fine. Also I don't have an integrated GPU. Furmark detects no issues, no temperature spikes no nothing, I let it run while I made an omlete (du fromage) and ate it. I also did a sfc /scannow right after I did a DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth to check for any OS related issue. Then did a DDU and tried the previous driver too.

In the last days I did a GPU drivers update and a Windows one, so both could be the culprits, since I did DDU, I'd say it's the windows update.

If anyone finds a solution, I'd be happy to use it lol.

DXdiag WDDM 2.7 https://prnt.sc/v3YmhoRX0URs
GPUz https://gpuz.techpowerup.com/22/05/03/mfv.png

Hm, gonna do a BIOS update, if there is any, just for the sake of it.
EDIT: Updating Bios to the latest version and 2 other MB related things that got updates since the last time I checked didn't help. Still no GPU in the Performance tab, 0% GPU usage in the Processes. GPU-z shows everything fine.

PC:
MB: B550 Gaming Plus MS-7C56
Processor: 5900x
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Black 2x16 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16
GPU: 3060TI
NO iGPU
PSU: Seasonic Focus+, Gold, 850w

Last edited:
are you connected to the dedicated GPU and not the motherboard's rear I/O(iGPU)?
just double check, and also try another HDMI or DP port on the card itself.

and it's always possible that while moving and re-hooking everything up someone could make a simple mistake and/or just forget exactly where things go.

May 2, 2022
Just a wag.

just double check, and also try another HDMI or DP port on the card itself.

and it's always possible that while moving and re-hooking everything up someone could make a simple mistake and/or just forget exactly where things go.

I have moved my gpu into different pci ports twice already also re-plugged my hdmi ports. Everything seems fine. Also new issue, when I play anything on full screen on my 144hz monitor, it seems to flicker too randomly at times. Dont know if thats associated with windows not recognizing my gpu but uh ye.

May 4, 2022
To rebuild all performance counters including extensible and third-party counters, type the following commands at an Administrative command prompt. Press ENTER after each command.

cd c:\windows\system32
lodctr /R
cd c:\windows\sysWOW64
lodctr /R

After that, the GPU information will reappear.

According to the latest information, this problem is related to AV "ESET".

To rebuild all performance counters including extensible and third-party counters, type the following commands at an Administrative command prompt. Press ENTER after each command.

lodctr /R
lodctr /R

that wont work on win10, that is just for windows server editions
normal windows have to be done manually
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...ce/rebuild-performance-counter-library-values

but i dont think that will fix anything? this is just for perfmon, while task manager is something a bit different
task manager should be using win32_videocontroller WMI class (root\cimv2:SELECT * FROM Win32_VideoController)
might be wort try checking powershell what this WMI contains in his PC
type this in powershell Get-WmiObject Win32_VideoController and copy paste here what it prints out

Last edited:

Lordinu

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021

lodctr /R
lodctr /R

Love you. I have Eset :/

Lordinu

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
that wont work on win10, that is just for windows server editions
normal windows have to be done manually
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...ce/rebuild-performance-counter-library-values

but i dont think that will fix anything? this is just for perfmon, while task manager is something a bit different
task manager should be using win32_videocontroller WMI class (root\cimv2:SELECT * FROM Win32_VideoController)
might be wort try checking powershell what this WMI contains in his PC
type this in powershell Get-WmiObject Win32_VideoController and copy paste here what it prints out
Love you too :D Thank you very much. I am happy the GPU is not broken, no warranty send the product, receive the product, send it again, bla bla.

Question, has an ESET workaround appeared? Else I am in no hurry to fix it if it will get broken again.
seems to be reported yesterday that eset update breaks WMI

Lordinu

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
I love how ESET support outright dismisses the issues without even asking for more details. I was able to replicate the issues myself easily, for now until a fix is up I will just go without WMI.

And thanks again.

May 7, 2022

lodctr /R
lodctr /R

i created an account here just to say thank you, it worked for me

Reactions: englandr753