[SOLVED] GPU Not Detected at Boot, No Integrated Graphics - Help!

Apr 23, 2020
Hi everyone.

I've recently been putting together my first PC build and here are my components:
ASUS Prime B450M-A Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X CPU
Powercolor Red Dragon RX 570 GPU
G Skill Ripjaw 16 GB RAM (2x8) DDR4 3200
IPSG 550W 80+ Fixed ATX PSU

All was well until I never got a display when trying to turn the PC on for the first time.

I bought a motherboard speaker and I'm getting a beep code that I believe is a 3 beep code? It has one continuous beep, then three short beeps. Then, about three seconds later, it does one final short beep. I'm under the impression this is some kind of "final" beep and not part of the code since it's very clearly not part of the sequence, but I might be wrong.

I know the motherboard and CPU are fine from having inspected each component multiple times (checked for CPU bent pins, heating material, etc.) and the motherboard changes its beep code whenever I remove components (i.e. one continuous and two short beeps when I don't have RAM installed).

So from where I'm sitting, it seems to be the GPU that's the issue. And indeed, I don't ever get a display despite having an HDMI and an HDMI/DVI cable.

I don't think it's the motherboard, I don't think it's the PSU/CPU/anything else given the beep code.

However, I can't just go into BIOS and make settings changes because... the Ryzen 2600X doesn't have integrated graphics. I can't do anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to just get a cheaper CPU with integrated graphics and use it temporarily? I gather from research that you can make the BIOS settings look for a GPU or something? Is that the problem?

Or is it more likely that the GPU is busted? It is definitely plugged in and on, the fans are turning, and I use a 6+2 pin cable connected to the PSU.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated!

Solution
Normally a long beep and 3 short ones indicates the following
4. "One long and three short beeps" from speaker
An anomaly is detected in the graphic card. If the graphic card needs an extra power supply, please ensure the power supply can provide enough wattage.

it could be a faulty 6+2 pin connector try removing your gpu and placing an old one or a different one preferably one that requires a pin connector and see if it powers up

STcreature

Honorable
Nov 12, 2014
Normally a long beep and 3 short ones indicates the following
4. "One long and three short beeps" from speaker
An anomaly is detected in the graphic card. If the graphic card needs an extra power supply, please ensure the power supply can provide enough wattage.

it could be a faulty 6+2 pin connector try removing your gpu and placing an old one or a different one preferably one that requires a pin connector and see if it powers up

Solution
Apr 23, 2020
Hi ST, thanks for replying

Yeah I googled the code and saw that it meant that the graphics card was not detected or something similar. I found this resource https://superuser.com/questions/783082/beep-codes-definition-for-asus-motherboard Which has a screen cap of that answer.

I unfortunately do not have another GPU to test. THe computer I'm typing on now has integrated graphics alone.

For my power source, I have two 4-pin connectors that are powering the CPU. Can I use those for the GPU and just switch the cables around? that way, if the CPU isn't powered, I know it's a cable problem.

However, I also should ask whether the power is the issue if the GPU does seem to power on (i.e. fans are spinning).

STcreature

Honorable
Nov 12, 2014
Certain PSU have a labelled connectors for each component can you validate that the connector connected into your GPU has a label something like
Video or GPU or PCIE

You might have plugged the MB CPU Pin cords into your GPU or vice versa

Last edited: