Question GPU not detected by system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Hi!

Ive been having issues since i bought a used RX 570 to upgrade my system.

Ive been using a i5-4590 with a Asus H81M-R and suddently the GPU wouldn't get recognized by the system. iGPU was turning on all the time. From a small condensator break, which wasnt the part of the problem, i went to a repair shop that fixed it. Im telling you this because the GPU was running fine in the beginning and after the fix aswell, BUT on the repair's shop PC. Not mine. Ive struggled a little and bought another H81 motherboard from Gigabyte which was a little bit better in BIOS settings and just a little bit more advanced. It wouldnt post the first time because it needed a BIOS flash so i went to my friend's house to do it and fixed it. Ive used his R7 370 to boot and it was recognized fully. I went to my house happy thinking everything would work but the GPU still isnt recognized. However my GT 220 does get recognized and boots.

Things i tried:

BIOS flash
Firm GPU seating
Using another GPU ( GT 220 & R7 370)
Using other cables ( HDMI & DP)
Using another CPU ( Pentium G3250, i5-4590, i5 4440)
Using another RAM
Using another MB ( older one and Gigabyte Z87)

I tried to disable Intel integrated graphics inside the BIOS but the PC still boots without seeing the RX 570

I tried changing Gen 1 or Gen 2 options for the GPU in BIOS.

I tried changing initial display output to PCIE slot in BIOS.

I tried using other PCIE 8pin cable from my power supply which didn't work.

Ive tested the power supply in another system, works completely fine and even tested in my own system that the RX 570 does get 12V on 6pin cables and the 2 other ones are on 0. Thats the only thing i found out that was suspicious. Im using a fairly new( 8m old) CoolerMaster MWE 650W V2 Gold modular PSU. Runs a R9 290 and R7 370 completely fine.

So what is it then? Help!

Old system:

i5-4590
CoolerMaster 120mm AIO
GT 220
2x2GB DDR3 1066MHz
CoolerMaster MWE 650W Gold modular PSU

New system:

i5-4590
CoolerMaster 120mm AIO
Gigabyte RX 570 4GB
4x4 DDR3 1333MHz
CoolerMaster MWE 650W Gold modular PSU

How on earth to make this RX 570 work in my own system?

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Might be psu but really i doubt it. Something is amiss here with that rx570. Doesn't make sense what it's doing or what the h81 chipset is doing. Im wondering if it's time to do away with current mobo and cpu and go modern + rx570.
Unfortunately, the PSU didn't make a change. I tried my R9 290 again and did a Furmark test and it pulled 290W so the PSU is NOT the problem here. However, when i entered the BIOS with my R9 290, the screen was shutting on and off every 7-8 seconds and the text flickered a little bit so i don't know what's that about. Could it be any conflict there? Still weird because an Sapphire R7 370 worked just fine with a 6pin connected and no problems inside the BIOS. R9 290 does NOT do this inside the system, just in BIOS.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Motherboard upgrade, to something newer, is the only way forward really. Throwing money at the solution might be the only way. Looks like it.
I'm very fooled by the H81 not supporting it, even if Z97 does which is the motherboard of my friend. Oh well, i guess ill jump to a Ryzen system or an intel 8-9th gen platform. Thanks for your time !

Last edited: