[SOLVED] Gpu not detected in bios, but working in friend's computer together with my psu

Jan 8, 2019
Hi, I recently bought a GPU GTX 970

My problem is that my bios wont detect my GTX 970, and my onboard graphics work while gpu is plugged. I also tried my existing gpu which is a 730 and it is working wihout a problem.

So here is a backstory
~I bought a gtx 970 its a 2nd hand, so I came home with it and realized that my psu which was 500 w has only 1 x 6 pin connector and the gpu requires 2, regardless, i plugged the gpu with the 1 x 6 pin and it showed me the "error" that I should plug all the pins. The next day I bought a connector and and connect it so I plugged in a 6 pin molex connector and something popped on my computer, So I bought a new psu which was 600w, and booted it and it does not detect the gtx 970 even i plug only 1 x 6 pin it does not show me any error and the onboard graphics work , I even tried the old psu and no results

SO WHAT I HAVE DONE IS

~TRIED INSTALLING THE DRIVER , IT DID NOT WORK

~FIND UPDATE TO MY BIOS' NO UPDATE

~TRIED MY OLD GT 730 AND IT WORKED

~TRIED GPU AND PSU IN A FRIEND'S
MOTHERBOARD AND IT WORKS

WHICH MEANS MY GPU AND PSU IS WORKING,

I HAVE NO IDEA LEFT BUT TO REPLACE MY MOBO,

PLEASE HELP

Solution
Before you change cpu back to 2500. Update bios again just to be sure. AFTER bios update, go back into bios and load bios defaults. OR clear cmos, could probably try clear cmos first and then load bios defaults.

Your new PSU: I guess you plugged in both 6-pin connectors. If not, then try that and ask again.
If you did, there is a definite possibility your current motherboard isn't compatible with the graphics card. But before we call your mobo a lost cause, try the following:

• ■ If the onboard graphics still work, then make sure you have set your BIOS to use only the "external" card for output. Also make sure that when you do so and the reboot, your monitor is plugged into your 970.
    ■ It may also be a good idea to reset your BIOS completely at least once, as older BIOS may get buggy when you tinker several times with settings and/or hardware. If in doubt, simply remove the battery for a minute or so (computer un plugged) and re-seat it after you're done with all your hardware manipulations. Then if it's still the onboard graphics that get booted first, enter your BIOS and set up the external card as default.
If after all this your card still isn't recognized, then your motherboard doesn't like it; and even if you manage to make it work one day, it will probably be very unstable.

A few points confuse me.

You tried to use the GTX 970 which requires two 6-pin connectors by only plugging one in. Normally that would just be a lack of power, so it makes sense.

You then got a new connector, something pops; then you try one 6-pin connector and something pops again? Nothing ever good comes from a pop as far as I'm concerned. I'd check to see if anything on the motherboard seems wrong, especially capacitors. It's also thought cables other than the original ones with the power supply may carry some risk due to different manufacturers wiring the power differently; best to be avoided. To me it sounds like something has been damaged.

Then a new PSU, and you still use only one 6-pin connector? No output from the GTX 970 but from the integrated graphics. This sounds like you're connecting the display cable to the motherboard and not the graphics card. Also a possibility you may need to choose the display output via BIOS.

At some unverified time during all this, you've tried the GTX 970 and a power supply (unknown which one) and they work with a friend's PC. Still only using one 6-pin connector?

A quick Google search returns this thread: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=659&title=motherboard-dont-detect-gpu
See if anything there is of any help. At the very least, make sure the GTX 970 has all the power connectors it needs.

Jan 8, 2019
Sorry there was some type of typo, so to clarify ot only popped when i used the molex connector because i plugged in 2 molex on the 6 pin molex connector when it should only needed one,

bios settings is good , yes im plugging in to my mobo because gpu is not detected

NO WE TRIED IT WITH 2 PINS FROM HE 600W,

i just tried reseating and the cmos reset

Jan 8, 2019

You may be right, i could probably try this next week, I need to save up my lunch money XD

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Knowing that another gpu works, probably not. If cpu was damaged youd be having different problems. It's difficult to know for sure though.

The pop you heard sounds like a blown capacitor somewhere. Either from the old psu and it's done further damage to the motherboard or a capacitor on motherboard itself. Sometimes can still smell the odor from a blown cap after several days. Not a good smell.

Yes, in 3 cases:
the blown capacitor has a redundancy (2 traces in parallel) and its redundancy takes up the slack - up to a point.
the blown capacitor is not completely blown; on liquid one because there is still some liquid in it, solid ones I have no real idea.
the blown capacitor is on an unused circuit path.
It may just be that your Geforce 730 is a PCI-E x4 card that uses very little power, and doesn't use the extra traces on which the capacitor is found. The GTX970 is definitely a PCI-E x16 card, and it's definitely pulling as much current as it can from the motherboard.
As such, all 3 cases may apply.

Jan 8, 2019
yes, this makes sense now

after something popped out from my pc, my pc wont power up, then i called my father to buy me a new psu because i thought old psu was dead then the my pc run , but not detecting the gpu, then i tried the old psu and it did work.

hope i could replace the mobo now for an update :)

Jan 8, 2019
HELLO GUYS TURNS OUT MY GTX 970 DOES NOT ACCEPT 2ND GEN PROCESSORS AS I TESTED MY GTX 970 WITH OTHER GENS , SO I TRIED A NEW MOBO AND IT DID NOT WORK BUT WORKED WHEN I CHANGE CPU ...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That opens a different kettle of fish. As you you can see in my sig im running an 1070 with 1st gen i7 and im also running 1080Ti with 2nd gen 2600k.

Inspect motherboard lga pins and put back the 2500 and clear cmos. Should be no reason why the two processors are showing fussiness between them, doesn't work like that. Something else is a miss.

If it continues to be too hard, time to build a new pc.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Before you change cpu back to 2500. Update bios again just to be sure. AFTER bios update, go back into bios and load bios defaults. OR clear cmos, could probably try clear cmos first and then load bios defaults.

Solution