GPU not matching the build

Quiqueabc1

Honorable
May 15, 2016
Ok so I'm doing a new PC build and its going to be all black with some LED lighting, I'm going to buy new parts for almost everything, but the problem is that my gpu would not match my build, I have the GTX 1070 Founders Edition, I was thinking that I could paint the GPU but I don't want to risk damaging it, and I don't want to buy another one because it is kind of expensive, what would you guys recommend ?

Solution
You have the GTX 1070 FE and you want to make it look black w/o painting it? You don't really any any options that come to mind. You don't want to paint it, any film you put on it can come off from the heat and interfere with cooling. If it is still in the box not installed you could try to exchange it for another matching your color choice. Weber's idea of an after market cooler may be an option if you feel comfortable changing the cooler.

That is an interesting idea do you know a company that can do that. Powdercoating where the paint is baked on is done at high temps.

Yes it is and not offhand, the company I used to work for had stuff done locally but since I don't live there anymore.... I'd expect there are numerous outfits online that do auto parts...maybe they would be willing to try something different?

Quiqueabc1

Honorable
May 15, 2016

I like this idea, Is there any other brands that do this cooling solution for GPU's ?

I'll do some looking around.

First, we need to make sure of two things:
1) You have room for a 120mm radiator
2) You're okay with soft tubing running through your case (if you're going for an angular or square look, this is worth your time to think about)

OP did say he/she has a Founders Edition card. That's a blower style card, exhausting its heat through its own airflow exhaust at the rear of the card. The heat from the card never enters the air inside the case. By doing so, blowers create their own little cooling environment. We need to make sure OP's case airflow config can handle more hot air being introduced if we go with an open shroud cooler like the two you suggested.

OP, what is your case make/model and what is your current fan setup?

Quiqueabc1

Honorable
May 15, 2016

I have 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans, and my case is the NZXT S340 and I can take out an exhaust fan so I have positive airflow rather than negative, And for the GPU I would rather get an All In One water cooling solution.

The S340 has a good airflow design. With two intake fans and two exhaust fans (one exhaust fan being on GPU radiator), you'll have ample cooling for your system.

Do not use the radiator as intake. The basic principle of an AiO liquid cooler is to transfer the heat from the component (GPU in this case) to the liquid and move the liquid to a heat exchanger or radiator that can disperse said heat. When the radiator dispenses the heat, it leaves the radiator in the direction of airflow. If you use it as exhaust, the heat will exit the case and won't be introduced to the rest of the system. If you use it as intake, it will blow the heat through the rest of the system.

As for which AiO cooler is right for you, I suggest the one by EVGA that I linked earlier. The radiator should have no problem reaching an exhaust fan mount in your case. I would recommend putting it on the rear and leaving your current exhaust fan on the top.

Here's one thing to consider: the GTX 1070 FE has a hookup for a fan, but I don't think it has a hookup for a water pump. You'll need an extra fan header on your motherboard to hook up the pump. If you don't have an extra header, don't panic, you can just get an adapter to go from Molex (some PSUs call this a four pin peripheral connector) to a fan header. This will lock the pump at 100% for as long as the system is running, but the pump should be built to handle this sort of load. They can't reasonably expect everyone to have a motherboard that has extra headers. Sure, most people doing these sorts of upgrades have premium boards, but some others are just looking to step up their cooling game in prebuilt systems.

Bottom line: the fan on the radiator will connect to the GPU directly. The pump also requires a fan header, but IDK if this is present on your card or not. You may need to provide this via the motherboard or PSU adapter.

Solution
This seems like a lot of hassle just to make your VGA card black colored. Are you running it as is in the mean time? Does it really look bad? For the money one spends on these cards I would want mine to be viable and front and center, lol, but that's just me. Good luck and cheers!

Doesn't the included liquid cooling loop bring it front and center? Unless all your friends are PC enthusiasts who are used to this kind of stuff, it will turn many heads.

No not too many of my friends go liquid most don't care for it. Some are enthusiast most aren't, most are car guys, lol.