[SOLVED] Gpu not reaching 100% usage in certain games

Apr 14, 2022
I yesterday noticed a change in fps and a lot of frame drops in ceratin games so I looked at the gpu usage which never got to above 70% and often dropped to about 40% which I thought was odd because the gpu at the moment was the only bottleneck and the only component preventing me from reaching higher fps. The CPU usage is at about 20% so it is not the bottleneck and no other components are bottlenecking. This though as I mentioned doesn't affect all games. I've tried playing Minecraft, GTA 5 and Fortnite which all had frequent frame drops or just the Gpu usage beeing low, meanwhile in other games such as Forza Horizon 5, my Gpu is at 100% usage and functioning as normal, that's the reason I don't think there is a PSU fault. I had already from earlier on enabled higher power in my system for better performance through Nvidia control panel and through Windows settings. I also have made sure there are no fps limiters active when the problem occurs. My temps in my system are also fine so it isn't an overheating issue.

If anyone has any idea about what the problem here could be, I would be very happy to hear from you!

My specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: pny RTX 3070 ti
RAM: kingston fury 3600mhz 2x8gb rgb
Motherboard: Msi b550-a pro
Storage: WDBlue sn570 1tb
CPU Cooler: Arctic freezer II 240mm a-rgb
PSU: Aerocool aero bronze 750w fully modular

Solution
What might have changed two days ago?
Perhaps some less than good maintenance?
Malware intrusion?

You really do not want any component to run at 100% or it will be a limiting factor and not be able to handle peak demands.

cpu utilization is an average over all threads and will hide the impact of a single thread struggling to do it's job.
As a quick check run the cpu-Z bench on your 5800X and look at the single thread rating.
It should be about 650:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/60vs0l/1
Apr 14, 2022
Can be one of at least two things:
  1. Game developer and current GPU driver are not optimized to each other for maximum performance.
  2. Problem with temperature.
As I mentioned the temperatures aren't the problem since they are at stable temperatures and the problem came out of nowhere and everything was working perfectly 2 days ago.
I don't know much about what could else be the problem.
Anyways thanks for the answer!

Malware intrusion?

You really do not want any component to run at 100% or it will be a limiting factor and not be able to handle peak demands.

cpu utilization is an average over all threads and will hide the impact of a single thread struggling to do it's job.
As a quick check run the cpu-Z bench on your 5800X and look at the single thread rating.
It should be about 650:

Reactions: YouBelongToOcean
Solution
Apr 14, 2022
Malware intrusion?

It should be about 650:
Okay, so I managed to fix the issue.
I realized that I hadn't earlier seen what gpu usage I was using in other games except for Forza Horizon 5, where I had it at 100% because it is very demanding for the gpu. Therefore thanks to your reply I realized that it might be the CPU that can't handle higher fps because of the single thread performance "bottleneck" eventhough the CPU's usage is only at 20%. And I agree with you that a component shouldn't be running at 100% usage for optimal performance. However that wasn't the main issue. I uninstalled the graphics drivers I had from geforce experience and downgraded to an older version which fixed the random fps drops in these games.
Thank you very much for your comment and helping me realize what was going on!

TRENDING THREADS