[SOLVED] GPU not recognizing both DP when two are plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2021
I randomly started having an issue where if I have 2 monitors plugged into the Display ports in my GPU only one works and the other shows no signal. I've been running this setup for about 3 months with no issue and today it randomly didn't work when i turned on my computer. I tried a bunch of trouble shooting steps like changing the cables, trying different ports, and just plugging in one monitor at a time, updated drivers, reseated the GPU, made sure power cables were secured tightly, switched power cables, turned off OC on CPU.

My results so far are: If I have one monitor plugged in (into ANY of my DP ports, and tried with both cables and both monitors one at a time) the monitor will work. (asus will work alone, dell will work alone)
If i try to plug them both in then only one monitor will work (Dell monitor).
If I plug in my Dell into DP and Asus into HDMI both will work, however the asus will be at 60hz because it's on an older version of HDMI.

I don't mind that my second monitor is running at 60hz, but I'm scared there might be a bigger issue that could hurt me down the road and i'm wondering why it would just randomly stop working like that. I think I can cross out cables being the issue since both cables seem to work on both monitors if only one is plugged in at a time. I suspect it might be either my PSU or my GPU that could be dying, but I would appreciate any input.

Specs:
i5 8600k OC to 5ghz
Geforce 1080 no OC
16g ram
1000w EVGA G3
Dell 25 Gaming Monitor - S2522HG
ASUS VG248QE Gaming Monitor -24"
Windows 10 pro

Oct 14, 2021
So I was able to fix it. In case anyone else runs into this problem this is what I did.

I tried plugging in a 3rd monitor (hdmi), so total I had monitor 1 DP, monitor 2 DP, monitor 3 HDMI. When I plugged in the 3rd monitor all 3 monitors turned on and everything was working fine. When I unplugged the 3rd monitor, the 2nd monitor would fail again like originally. So what I did was go into Nvidia control panel with all 3 monitors plugged in and went into the "Set up multiple displays" setting and UNCHECKED the hdmi monitor. This kind of virtually unplugged the 3rd monitor, and now I was able to unplug the 3rd monitor and run my normal 2 monitor setup with 2 DP plugs like I used to.

It was sort of like a toggling on and off type deal I guess? Something must have been glitched in the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.