• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question GPU not showing up in Bios

Jun 27, 2020
Parts list.

Case: NZXT H510i
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU: i5-9600k
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
PSU: EVGA G5 650 Supernova
SSD: Crucial MX500 500gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
GFX: MSI Geforce RTX 2070 Super
RAM: Vengeance LPX DDR4

Note to parts list: Everything above is brand spanking new. I had purchased the parts from -- as far as I know -- reputable dealers (Best Buy, Amazon, NewEgg).

Problem description, error messages, and symptoms.
I recently had finished putting together my build.
I had first installed windows and was about to proceed with installing NVIDIA drivers. Before doing so I decided to quickly check my PC's device management where I had realized that my graphics card was not being displayed. For <Mod Edit> and giggles I continued with installing NVIDIA Control Panel, and upon running the program I was greeted with the error message, "NVIDIA Display Settings are not Available," "An NVIDIA graphics card was not detected in your system." Welp, <Mod Edit>. From there I booted up bios to check if my motherboard was recognizing a PCIe connection but was presented with "N/A" (This had continued even after swapping PCIe slots).

When entering the bios screen my motherboard does present me with a red light on "VGA" which I had assumed is my motherboard indicating that there is some sort of issue with my GPU. (This red light only shows up when I have entered Bios and does not show up when running Windows.)
My GPU's fans seem to be running no problem when initially starting up my PC but they seem to stop after about 15-20 min or so. I assumed this is because the GPU doesn't need the extra fans running right now as the GPU is not getting hot. (I have also read that the GPU fans running does not eliminate the possibility of DOA).

Being inexperienced, I had initially plugged my HDMI cable into the motherboard without realizing that it should instead go into the Graphics Card, hence why I did not initially notice any issues when installing and running Windows 10. With that being said, when plugging the HDMI into the graphics card I am greeted with a blank screen and no connection, which does not happen when I plug it into the motherboard.

Attempts to diagnose or fix the problem.
I have attempted to:
Reconnect and double-check that my graphics card is properly connected to my PSU, no difference (Checking to make sure my graphics card was receiving power)
Removed the graphics card from PCIe 16x slot and reinserted graphics card into the same slot, no difference (Unsure of whether or not the card was inserted properly)
Swapped graphics card from PCIe slot 16x to 8x, no difference (Checking to see if issues lied in the motherboard's 16x PCIe slot)

What I have not attempted to do.
I have not attempted to:
Swap out the graphics card with another card in my build
Try the graphics card out on another PC build
Run the PC without a graphics card inserted
Install fresh Nvidia drivers
Update the bios of my motherboard (My bios is on the latest version, F11, with the last version release being F12, which is still in beta)

Additional Information.
I am completely new to PC, PC building, and Reddit (I hope this is formatted correctly). This is my first build and I had completed it last night. Every other component of my PC seems to be running just fine, the only issue I am experiencing is with the GPU. The GPU was purchased from Best Buy and the Motherboard from NewEgg. I will be further troubleshooting over the next couple of days but am limited in time due to college coursework. I am planning on swapping the GPU out with a friend later this week to determine if my GPU came DOA. Any questions, please ask! All input is much appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS