Question Gpu not showing up in Device Manager

Nov 30, 2022
I recently bought a case swapped Alienware Aurora R8 for $50, everything works as it should except it wont show any display adapters except the installed graphics which is UHD graphics 630. The gpu i tried installing is a zotac 2060 rtx and the system wont even try to detect it, is there some kind of pre-installed whitelist for gpu's that alienware has? or a way to change something in the bios. thanks.

specs:
intel i7-9700 @ 3.00ghz
Ipcfl-sc/r mobo
16gb DDR4
256gb SSD
2tb HDD

if posted in wrong thread please move*

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
is there some kind of pre-installed whitelist for gpu's that alienware has?

This is likely, since that MoBo is custom built for Alienware and proprietary. So, with proprietary MoBo, Alienware can dictate what hardware it can accept.

E.g BIOS may not have the GPU restriction, per se, but instead it has built-in clause, where GPU with specific marking only works. E.g GPU made for Alienware, housing custom chipset. And once MoBo detects that custom GPU, it enables it and can be used within PC. While the "stock" GPUs, won't work since those doesn't have that custom marking with them.

MoBo also has 2nd PCI-E x16 slot. Try that. Else-ways, you're looking towards different MoBo, IF you want to use your RTX 2060.

Reactions: ItsHicks