[SOLVED] GPU not turning on, can't get to post ?

Feb 21, 2022
cpu - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
gpu - AMD Radeon RX 6600(new)
mobo - GIGABYTE Aorus Elite B550(new)
psu - EVGA 650 GT

The GPU is not faulty but it plays a part in this head scratcher for me. So I bought a new mobo recently to set up a system with a rx 6600 cause I got one cheap. I ran a rx 570 on the mobo for a while waiting for the 6600 to get here and when it got here I was going to switch them. So I reset the drivers, shut off and unplugged the pc and discharged it for 10 seconds or so and swapped the gpus. All the fans turned on except for the gpu and I waited a good 5 minutes to see if anything happened. I tried all the display port slots and the hdmi slot. Nothing. I retried the old gpu and and now that doesn't give display either.

I then took all the components out and used a different motherboard(an asrock b450) and both worked. So it's not a psu problem and not a gpu problem. It's prolly a PCIE slot issue and I'm gonna return it soon but I feel like I'm missing something here and maybe someone here can help.

Other notes that might help are that once I turn on the pc via power switch the pc will not turn off if I hold the power switch and when I shut it off via psu switch the GPU fans spin a little.
I've switched out the motherboard and components in this case so many times trying to get this mobo to work I've spent more time troubleshooting than using it.

Thanks for reading.

Solution
Put the gpu in the second slot temporarily. Many times the bios can have issues with cpu pcie recognition of the gpu at first install. The second slot uses the chipset pcie instead. Once you've done a couple of reboots, should be good to return to the main slot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Put the gpu in the second slot temporarily. Many times the bios can have issues with cpu pcie recognition of the gpu at first install. The second slot uses the chipset pcie instead. Once you've done a couple of reboots, should be good to return to the main slot.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS