Question GPU not working after cleaning with 70% alcohol ?

Aug 30, 2023
hi guys, my gpu doesn't work after cleaning it with alcohol using a toothbrush, but i gently brushed to push away the dust, then i replace thermal paste and thermal pad, i dried it for 5 mins and reseat it and doesn't display or spinning fan

my specs
i7-2600
rx 570 8gb
16ram
1tb hdd
128 sdd
psu 500watts +80 bronze 6 to 8 pins
please send help

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What did you use isopropyl? Did you spray the stuff then used tooth brush? If you did that then most likely the liquid got onto the circuitry and shorted out the card. You should have sprayed it on a rag, then wipe the GPU with the rag.

Reactions: Tac 25
Here's why it's never a good idea to clean a video card. If you really must (high-dust conditions), a can of compressed air is the most that you should use and even then, I've read stories of video cards dying just from that.

Aug 30, 2023
What did you use isopropyl? Did you spray the stuff then used tooth brush? If you did that then most likely the liquid got onto the circuitry and shorted out the card. You should have sprayed it on a rag, then wipe the GPU with the rag.
this is what i did damm. i spray and brush it

Aug 30, 2023
Here's why it's never a good idea to clean a video card. If you really must (high-dust conditions), a can of compressed air is the most that you should use and even then, I've read stories of video cards dying just from that.
my gpu is now dead? or not??

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Wait 24 hours and see if it dries out on its own. You could make attempts to accelerate that by putting it in a box and leaving the box out in the sun or something.

Pretty easy to get liquid under the memory chips if you gave it a good soaking.

Not a guarantee of permanent damage, but that is a possibility since you powered it on so soon after assembly.

Aug 30, 2023
Wait 24 hours and see if it dries out on its own. You could make attempts to accelerate that by putting it in a box and leaving the box out in the sun or something.

Pretty easy to get liquid under the memory chips if you gave it a good soaking.

Not a guarantee of permanent damage, but that is a possibility since you powered it on so soon after assembly.
so i need to wait 24 hrs to dried it up, that's why my gpu no power and no fan?

so i need to wait 24 hrs to dried it up, that's why my gpu no power and no fan?
Well no one knows at this point if you hosed you card or not?

If you had given the card 20 min to dry when you had did the cleaning and hit it with air, sitting in front of a fan or a blow-dryer.

Were you paying attention to how you torqued the heatsink making sure you did an x pattern small turns on each screw till all 4 were tight.

Did you remember to re plug in the fan to the GPU.

I hope you card is fine and it all works out, fingers crossed.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Could also do the bag of rice trick.

Alcohol will evaporat relatively quickly. It's the 30% water that might be sitting under various small bits that could cause shorts and all sorts of bad things.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Could also do the bag of rice trick.

No. Pretty much all negatives to using rice as a desiccant, and it isn't better than air drying. Just gets rice onto things.

Just an old tale. But because it is so commonly believed, enough people have stuck their electronics in rice and have it start working later that there is a confirmation bias that isn't based on real testing. Basically, if it isn't working due to water, and it will work once dry, then it will work with or without rice being involved.

Reactions: Kona45primo
Aug 30, 2023

If you had given the card 20 min to dry when you had did the cleaning and hit it with air, sitting in front of a fan or a blow-dryer.

Were you paying attention to how you torqued the heatsink making sure you did an x pattern small turns on each screw till all 4 were tight.

the fans are connector i tried to another pc with 8 pins, nothing works

Aug 30, 2023
No. Pretty much all negatives to using rice as a desiccant, and it isn't better than air drying. Just gets rice onto things.

Just an old tale. But because it is so commonly believed, enough people have stuck their electronics in rice and have it start working later that there is a confirmation bias that isn't based on real testing. Basically, if it isn't working due to water, and it will work once dry, then it will work with or without rice being involved.
let me try this one i see some black spots something wet

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023

now my cpu got on and off after iput my gpu what happening?

Aug 30, 2023

Aug 30, 2023

TRENDING THREADS