Question GPU not working after installing new Riser

Nov 14, 2023
Swapped out new GPU riser and now GPU doesn’t work at all

Hello all, this is my first post asking for help here.
Basically I had RTX 3080 that I used with a Gen 3 Cooler Master Vertical Riser on a MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi Motherboard, initially it didn’t post a BIOS splash at all until I got a spare GPU to go into the BIOS to manually change the PCI-E speeds from Auto to Gen 3 (which was a whole separate episode of headache-filled troubleshooting until I found out the issue was possibly with the Riser)

I decided to make the swapped to a Lian Li Gen-4 Universal riser today as the long alt-tab times and random black screens was starting to get on my nerves (I never had this issue with my previously owned Z370E board and 8700K which made me guess the issue was with the new platform not playing nice with my GPU Riser)

After installing the new Lian Li vertical mount, I surprisingly didn’t get a post or BIOS splash at all, entire PC would light up as usual, however GPU fans will spin for a few seconds then go idle, which was the same issue I had with the previous Riser before I changed the PCI-E speeds in BIOS.

I’ve since tried to:
1) Install my 3080 back directly into my Motherboard, didn’t work

2) Tried my old Cooler Master Riser with my 3080, didn’t work again

3) Plugged in my spare known working 750Ti and 960 cards directly into the motherboard, didn’t work as well

4) Reset CMOS battery

5) Tried with individual RAM sticks on both slots 2 and 4

This is getting really weird as my 3080 was working literally minutes before I took it apart to install my new GPU riser, now none of them work even when plugged directly into the motherboard.

Here’s my spec list if it helps:
- CPU: Intel i5-1600KF
- RAM: G Skill Trident Z RGB 3200
- GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080
- PSU: Corsair RM 1000 (older yellow label)

Any help or insight on the issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
PSU: Corsair RM 1000 (older yellow label)
That PSU was released in 2014. How old is this unit and what did it power since it's tenure with you?

Why not just revert to the regular slot on the motherboard instead of having to use a riser cable? Make and model of the case you're working with? Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Reactions: Order 66
Nov 14, 2023
PSU: Corsair RM 1000 (older yellow label)
That PSU was released in 2014. How old is this unit and what did it power since it's tenure with you?

Why not just revert to the regular slot on the motherboard instead of having to use a riser cable? Make and model of the case you're working with? Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
I bought the PSU around 2016.
I used to run a 8700K and a 1080ti on it, I’ve never done any manual overclocking on the GPU and the CPU’s I’ve just left on boost.

I’ve tried reverting to the slot directly on the motherboard after the new riser swap but suddenly that isn’t working anymore as well.

Case is Lian Li O11D
Motherboard is MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
BIOS version is the latest one from MSI’s website

Latest posts