[SOLVED] GPU not working anymore,after reapplying thermal paste

rynam

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
Hello!
I recently reapplied the thermal paste for my GPU (Nvidia gtx 660 oc 2gb) ,but when I turn the computer on it doesn't show anything on the screen [black screen].but when I plug-in the vga cable on the motherboard integrated graphic card it work immediately.
Please help,thank you

Solution
Well, not sure what to tell you. If both cards work in the second computer and only one works in the first computer, something has to be off.

You didn't answer regarding the PCIe cables, so my suspicion is also power at this point. By any chance is the other card you used not requiring that much input? If so, check the cables for loose pins or damaged wires on the 660. Check the card itself for damage around the power input.

If it is a modular supply, unplug and replug anything suspect and swap out any unused cables you might have. If it is a hard wired power supply and you don't have a cheap multi-meter, pick one up. Usually $15-20 at any hardware store. Then you can probe the black and yellow wires on the PCIe power cables and see...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, not sure what to tell you. If both cards work in the second computer and only one works in the first computer, something has to be off.

You didn't answer regarding the PCIe cables, so my suspicion is also power at this point. By any chance is the other card you used not requiring that much input? If so, check the cables for loose pins or damaged wires on the 660. Check the card itself for damage around the power input.

If it is a modular supply, unplug and replug anything suspect and swap out any unused cables you might have. If it is a hard wired power supply and you don't have a cheap multi-meter, pick one up. Usually $15-20 at any hardware store. Then you can probe the black and yellow wires on the PCIe power cables and see if they deliver 12V.

For safety of your system you can do this with the power supply outside the computer. Just needs to be plugged into the wall and you short pins 15 and 16 on the power supply to start it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS