Question GPU only works in safe mode

Nov 25, 2019
GPU working only in safe mode

So I’ve been having some weird artifacts with my GPU (HD7870) over the past couple of days, and today my PC finally got an artifact that covered the whole screen. After I restarted my PC now it won’t get past the Windows logo. I get a black screen (my monitor detects a signal) and my keyboard lights are turned off after a couple of seconds.

So after a few times of restarting my PC it will enter a recovery menu that can let me reboot into safe mode. It is the only way of getting to the desktop (safe mode with network).

Even in safe mode I’m getting some weird lines on my screen (but nowhere near the ones I had before my GPU died for good). I’ll link some pics down below.

View: https://imgur.com/a/6C3KcMZ

So, is this 100% GPU related? This is my second 7870, the other one had the same problems like 2 years ago. I’m scared of pulling the trigger on a newer GPU (1060 / RX 580) just for it to die too in 2 or 3 years.

Is there something else I can do to see if other components are failing too? Or this is just a problem of the GPU.

What should be my next move?

Thanks in advance :)

PS: i don’t have an extra PC where I can test my GPU, and I don’t have an extra GPU to test on my PC.

Ralston18

Titan
Have you tried reinstalling the GPU's drivers? If not, download via the manufacturer's website, reinstall, and reconfigure.

Does your motherboard have built-in graphics? If so, try that - determine if the problems stop.

Update your post to include full hardware specs and OS.

Especially PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

What are all the rest of your specs?
Safe mode runs with a minimum of drivers, in particular, no graphics drivers.
If you are having artifacts on your display in safe mode, I suspect your monitor is failing.

You can try reinstalling your graphics drivers in safe mode and see if that resolves the issue.

If you have integrated graphics available, you can test using that.

Another possibility is that your psu is failing.
7870 is much older tech that needs two 6 pin power connectors.
If your psu can not deliver sufficient power to the 7870, you can expect some artifacts.

Unfortunately, the only way to test for a bad psu is to replace it with a known good unit.

A RX580 replacement is worse from a power demand point of view.
GTX1060 would take less power and be a nice upgrade.
I think I would opt for one of the new GTX1660 cards
You can use tom's gpu hierarchy list to find the relative strengths of your options.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Nov 25, 2019
Have you tried reinstalling the GPU's drivers? If not, download via the manufacturer's website, reinstall, and reconfigure.

Does your motherboard have built-in graphics? If so, try that - determine if the problems stop.

Update your post to include full hardware specs and OS.

Especially PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?
What are all the rest of your specs?
Safe mode runs with a minimum of drivers, in particular, no graphics drivers.
If you are having artifacts on your display in safe mode, I suspect your monitor is failing.

You can try reinstalling your graphics drivers in safe mode and see if that resolves the issue.

If you have integrated graphics available, you can test using that.

Another possibility is that your psu is failing.
7870 is much older tech that needs two 6 pin power connectors.
If your psu can not deliver sufficient power to the 7870, you can expect some artifacts.

Unfortunately, the only way to test for a bad psu is to replace it with a known good unit.

A RX580 replacement is worse from a power demand point of view.
GTX1060 would take less power and be a nice upgrade.
I think I would opt for one of the new GTX1660 cards
You can use tom's gpu hierarchy list to find the relative strengths of your options.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I’ll update the post when I get home. I’ll also try to reinstall the drivers on safe mode. I don’t think my monitor is failing because it’s one of those TV-monitors and the TV looks good.

Also earlier today when I wanted to test the integrated graphics, changing the HDMI to the one on my motherboard gave me a no signal message on my monitor. I don’t know if I have to do something on the bios to get my integrated graphics working?

PC specs:
i5 3570
Asus P8H77-V
Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz
Aerocool E80 600w

Thanks :) Sorry if I missed something but I’m on my phone. Will update when I get home.

Nov 25, 2019
If you have a discrete graphics card installed, the bios will select that.
You may be able in the bios to select integrated as primary. Otherwise, remove the graphics card.
I tested the integrated graphics and it booted to desktop right away without any problems. Does that confirm that my GPU is dead? Can I do something else? Maybe clean the contacts and try to reinstall the drivers?

Thanks for your help!

update: i just did that and still no image. The only way to get to the desktop is with the integrated graphics. My GPU will only get to desktop if I use safe mode and the screen will show those lines that I uploaded on my OP.

Last edited: