[SOLVED] GPU or PCI-e slot is dead?

tomhivemindplzhelp

Prominent
Apr 25, 2018
Hi All

Firstly thank you for any help, it is much apreciated.

My problem is that I am unsure if my PCI-e slot or GPU is faulty. I fell asleep watching a movie on my PC, when I woke up the pc was off and would not boot. I took out RAM, GPU, ect and replaced them to find out with component had failed. But no matter what the pc wouldnt boot the fans would only spin for a second or two.

I then took out my CPU, cleaned it up and reaplied cooling paste. After this the PC boots and runs fine on intergrated graphics, however will not boot (or even give me a beep code) when i insert my GPU. Now it is worth noting my gpu is quite old, gtx 670 from i believe 2012.

Is there a way I can test the PCI-e socket? I do not have acess to a second working GPU to see if that works. Is it common for a PCi-e to be fail?

Also is it safe to put a GPU into a possibly faulty PCI-e socket? I do not want to buy a nice new card only to fry it straight away!

Thanks again for your help!

Solution
In my experience.....it's more likely the GPU than the slot....but that doesn't mean it isn't the slot.

I think the easiest way to find out what's going on is to try the GPU in another machine.

"Also is it safe to put a GPU into a possibly faulty PCI-e socket? "
I wouldn't.
...but as I eluded to....if your GPU doesn't work in another machine....then you will know it's the GPU.
In my experience.....it's more likely the GPU than the slot....but that doesn't mean it isn't the slot.

I think the easiest way to find out what's going on is to try the GPU in another machine.

"Also is it safe to put a GPU into a possibly faulty PCI-e socket? "
I wouldn't.
...but as I eluded to....if your GPU doesn't work in another machine....then you will know it's the GPU.

Solution