Question GPU or Power Supply Issue

Joel Macho Perez

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
I'm experiencing an issue with my main rig. Yesterday, everything was working fine, but today when I booted up the computer, I got no display output. However, all the RGB lighting is functioning correctly.

Here are the steps I've taken so far:

1. I disconnected and reconnected all cables, but the display issue persists.
2. I suspected that my GPU might have failed, so I tested the power supply using my power supply tester. The tester screen indicated that the +12V2 rail is reading as "L" (low voltage), and the PG (Power Good) signal is at 180 ms.
3. To further diagnose, I swapped out my current GPU with my old AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, and everything booted up normally.

Based on these observations, I'm uncertain whether the issue lies with the power supply or the GPU. Could the low voltage reading on the +12V2 rail indicate a problem with the power supply, or is it more likely that my GPU is defective?

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Elite
RAM: CROSSHAIR 80GB
MSI 3080 12 GB
PS: Evga 1000
SSD1: 1TB
SSD2: SAMSUNG 870 EVO 4TB
CPU: RYZEN 7 5800X

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If your tester indicated an issue with the PSU it seems the obvious place to land. I do wonder if you happen to have another low power graphics card to try and make sure that (without external PCIe power cables) the system runs as expected. Losing a 3080 would certainly be a bummer.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Joel Macho Perez

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
If your tester indicated an issue with the PSU it seems the obvious place to land. I do wonder if you happen to have another low power graphics card to try and make sure that (without external PCIe power cables) the system runs as expected. Losing a 3080 would certainly be a bummer.

Unfortunately, I don't have a low-power GPU, so I'll need to get a new power supply. Do you recommend getting the same one, a much stronger power supply, or a 1200W unit?

Unfortunately, I don't have a low-power GPU, so I'll need to get a new power supply. Do you recommend getting the same one, a much stronger power supply, or a 1200W unit?
It would Def point to a new PSU and higher for a 3080 would be better. Another thing make sure your bios is updated to latest version as well since you can post with Rx 5700xt use that. But it sounds like the PSU has a dodgy rail which is a common failure.

Joel Macho Perez

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
I have the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular power supply. Yes, I'll be updating my BIOS before installing the new power supply. Does anyone have recommendations for the best full-tower case?

Latest posts