Jan 28, 2020
HELP!!! lol

Hi there first time poster here. I am currently having major problems after finally getting around to replacing my 4 core AMD bulldozer, 8gb DDR3 and my ASUS M5A78L-M plus motherboard, replacing them with a R7 2700, 16gb DDR4 (Corsair Vengeance and an MSI gaming max plus motherboard.

Upon finishing the build and powering up with a 600w PSU whilst using my gtx 1060 6GB GPU I had a signal to my monitor, so carrying on as you do whilst installing the necessary drivers I realised my GPU wasn't working as it was being seen as generic PnP monitor and wouldn't see it for Nvidia to install the GR driver. Upon further inspection I noticed the fans were not running but were starting directly on power up then came to stop several seconds later, I then removed the GPU and tried to run with the on board graphics and with that I get no signal at all with both DVI and HDMI.

Am I right yo be thinking that this could either be a PSU or a GPU fault? To say this really has me discombobulated is an understatement lol :)

Build:
Ryzen 7 2700.
Corsair Vengeance 3200 DDR4 ram.
MSI Gaming Plus Max motherboard.
GTX 1060 6GB.
600w PSU.

Solution
Ryzen 2700 has no integrated graphics. Definitely recommended to replace the power supply.

As far as graphics, yes, when redoing a system like that, a reinstall can help. But modern cards will usually as was stated, not run fans until needed. But you'll want to do full system os reinstall, then pick up the latest driver from nvidia.com.
Ryzen has no integrated graphics aisde from the G model CPUs such as the 2200G

Fans starting and stopping on start up is 100% normal. Modern GPUs fans only turn when needed to keep noise down.

As far as the drivers not appearing try and use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely move the old driver, then reinstall the latest Nvidia ones.

I should also say this may not work as its advised to do a complete reinstall of Windows when you change chipsets like this. The issues that arise when using a previous install of Windows can be unpredictable and impossible to diagnose.

Jan 28, 2020
Ryzen has no integrated graphics aisde from the G model CPUs such as the 2200G

Fans starting and stopping on start up is 100% normal. Modern GPUs fans only turn when needed to keep noise down.

As far as the drivers not appearing try and use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely move the old driver, then reinstall the latest Nvidia ones.

I should also say this may not work as its advised to do a complete reinstall of Windows when you change chipsets like this. The issues that arise when using a previous install of Windows can be unpredictable and impossible to diagnose.

Hi there thanks for the reply, by on board graphics I meant from the motherboard I had to remove the GPU because it was getting hot hence the reason to revert back to the motherboard.

I have a new 700w psu coming Thursday so I expect I will install that and try again with a fresh reboot of Windows 10. My current PSU is more than 6 years old and was giving me a CPU fan error fault just recently so it is more than like on its way out.

Ryzen 2700 has no integrated graphics. Definitely recommended to replace the power supply.

As far as graphics, yes, when redoing a system like that, a reinstall can help. But modern cards will usually as was stated, not run fans until needed. But you'll want to do full system os reinstall, then pick up the latest driver from nvidia.com.

Solution
Jan 28, 2020

I know the Ryzen isn't a G model and doesn't have ingrated graphics it's the on board motherboard graphics that I can't get a signal from.

So yeah new PSU and fresh install of Windows is the plan.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I second a fresh windows install. I don't think your PSU is an issue as my system draws about twice the power as yours and I have a 760 watt PSU. If it's a cheap(crappy) PSU, it could be a problem tho.
You can do the fresh install now, and just swap out the power supplies when the new one arrives with no issues.

bignastyid

Titan
I know the Ryzen isn't a G model and doesn't have ingrated graphics it's the on board motherboard graphics that I can't get a signal from.

Your motherboard has no igpu(no AM4 board does) the ports on the motherboard require an APU(cpu with an igpu) to function.

If you are seeing generic PNP monitor you are looking under monitors which is the wrong place in device manager to see the GPU. To see the GPU you need to look under display adapters.

The fan turning off is normal as most gpus nowadays only spin the fans when the temp is ~60°C by default.

What make and model of 600w PSU?
What make and model of 700w PSU?

You WILL NOT be able to get any signal through your motherboards GFX ports with a Ryzen 7 2700. Your CPU has no graphics built-in, and nor does your motherboard. No modern motherboards have gfx built-in, this is the responsibility of the CPU.

Jan 28, 2020
According to the specifications of your motherboard it doesn't have onboard graphics.

Andy

Yes Andy you seem to be correct when it comes to the graphic ports on the motherboard and that only seem to work when it is paired with a Ryzen G model. Just been reading into the specs. I think I'm going to return the motherboard and get an ASUS B450 to replace it if I can't my gtx 1060 running. Thanks :)

Yes Andy you seem to be correct when it comes to the graphic ports on the motherboard and that only seem to work when it is paired with a Ryzen G model. Just been reading into the specs. I think I'm going to return the motherboard and get an ASUS B450 to replace it if I can't my gtx 1060 running. Thanks :)
What makes you think this will solve it? No AM4 motherboard or really any modern board will be capable of giving a display output with a CPU without an IGPU.

You buy an intel CPU without IGPU like an i5 9400f, same story. No matter the motherboard you will not get a display from the boards ports.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
What makes you think this will solve it? No AM4 motherboard or really any modern board will be capable of giving a display output with a CPU without an IGPU.

You buy an intel CPU without IGPU like an i5 9400f, same story. No matter the motherboard you will not get a display from the boards ports.
I saw a video of a threadripper CPU that rendered a few frames to a moniter....

If there is no integrated graphics, which none of the cpus except the ryzen chips that have the g after then have, then you will not get any output from the motherboard ports.

Don't get what is hard to understand. In this case changing your motherboard WILL NOT change your situation.

Changing your motherboard is not going to change that unless that motherboard has graphics built in. Which many haven't done for years.

In case I'm unclear.

Unless your CPU is

2200g
2400g
3200g
3400g

Or one of the newer athlon chips with integrated graphics.....

You WILL NOT get any graphics output from the motherboard.

You MUST plug into the 1060's output port. If that does not work, you need a different graphics card.

Period.

Jan 28, 2020
If there is no integrated graphics, which none of the cpus except the ryzen chips that have the g after then have, then you will not get any output from the motherboard ports.

Don't get what is hard to understand. In this case changing your motherboard WILL NOT change your situation.

Changing your motherboard is not going to change that unless that motherboard has graphics built in. Which many haven't done for years.

In case I'm unclear.

Unless your CPU is

2200g
2400g
3200g
3400g

Or one of the newer athlon chips with integrated graphics.....

You WILL NOT get any graphics output from the motherboard.

You MUST plug into the 1060's output port. If that does not work, you need a different graphics card.

Period.

Yes can we finally establish that I have now established that these new B450 mobo's only run onboard graphics when paired with a GPU integrated CPU and and that wasn't my major problem its the fact I can't get my gtx 1060 to run as normal using the PCIE slots available. So yeah either faulty GPU or PSU so I'm sticking to the original plan of installing a new PSU and fresh Windows 10 if not my problem most likely lies with the GPU.

Good plan. Hopefully your GPU is not faulty. If it does begin to work but maybe wants to heat up again, you may try to take the card apart and apply new thermal paste onto the gpu. It could be that with age, the thermal paste on your 1060 has broken down and hence needs replaced to help it out. Also, be sure you have plenty of fans in your case for airflow.

Jan 28, 2020
Good plan. Hopefully your GPU is not faulty. If it does begin to work but maybe wants to heat up again, you may try to take the card apart and apply new thermal paste onto the gpu. It could be that with age, the thermal paste on your 1060 has broken down and hence needs replaced to help it out. Also, be sure you have plenty of fans in your case for airflow.

Thanks for the tip Ohio and I'm really hoping it's not the GPU and I will most certainly check into that if I can't get it to run if not it gives me a perfect excuse to buy and RX 5000 series GPU :)