GPU or some other components faulty?

Heez93

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Hello everyone,

in the following I'll explain all the events that lead up to me detecting that the GPU might be faulty. My question is whether it was really the GPU or another component and that if the GPU was faulty how to test whether other components were damaged.

Yesterday all of my components for my new PC arrived. It was a badge of TWO deliveries:

1st Batch: PSU(BeQuiet 400W), GPU(ASUS Strix 8GB RX 480) and Case
2nd Batch: CPU (Ryzen 5 1600), Motherboard(Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 B350), RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHZ)
Old Hardware still used: Toshiba OCZ SSD 480 GB

! Before you start reading: With GPU load I mean the GPU usage in MSI Afterburner !

After the 1st Batch arrived I took the Motherboard out of my old Computer into the new one (including the old ram etc.). This means I used all the new components of the first batch and just added the old parts. Afterwards I used DDU in order to cleanly remove old drivers and then installed the one for my new graphics card. I tried out World of Warcraft which was decent but still not performing that well (I might had an CPU Bottleneck, it was an AMD Phenom II Black Edition). First thought that the CPU was bottlenecking it (it might also be an additional cause) but what I detected in MSI Afterburner was that the GPU usage was jumping between 0 and 100% all each second. My friends told me that it might be the bottleneck of the CPU causing such behavior. At a certain time I got a "grayscreen" which had me to hard reboot the computer. After this other games couldn't be started. In each Game (Overwatch, WoW, Skyrim) I have got a notification that my system does not meet the minimum requirements. So basically I couldn't play them. My friends then again told me that it might just be a strange behavior between the old motherboard, the new gpu and the old cpu. So I waited for the second badge to arrive.

After the 2nd badge was finally here I set up the new computer, reinstalled Windows completely and used DDU again in order to manually install the driver for the GPU. I installed WoW again and there was this strange behavior again. The GPU load jumped from 0 to 100% each second like it did before, the performance was good to okayish, but after a certain time I got a grayscreen again. This time I also tested out the game H1Z1 KotK. Same here, gray screen after a while.
The strange thing was that I ran two benchmarks: Furmark (which was stable with 66FPS and constant 100% GPU load, and userbenchmark which reported that my GPU was "good".

Then I thought that maybe the PSU is somewhat faulty and took the 2nd connector from PSU to GPU (there are two connectors for power supply, in case you have 2 GPUs) to see whether the first cable/connector was faulty. After I did this I couldn't start Windows (it froze when the dotted ring at the windows startup came). I tried to boot from an USB stick to reinstall it, but there I had the same problem. It froze at the dotted ring at the windows 10 startup.
In order to check things out I took out the RX480 and put in my old GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6850) and then my PC booted again (no freeze at startup).

Now I am at the point that I believe that my new GPU is faulty (and that it was from the beginning). But I am not quite certain whether this is the case. Another thing I am also concerned about is the fact that something else might have been damaged. How probable is that? Would my PC boot with my old GPU even if something else got damaged? Concerning the GPU I really tried to be as clean as possible with DDU, drivers etc.

Sorry for the long text but this is my first build and I am quite concerned that I damaged other parts.

Kind regards

Heez93

PhysX_HW

Distinguished
To be honest, that 400W PSU may not be enough for that configuration.

I know, on paper it should be fine, but the real world is quite different from the written specs.

So, I think you should try a different PSU if you can, and if it works with that, then replace that 400W.

The reason why I'm suspecting that is because if the PSU is being used over its specification, it may drop the voltage below a specific limit. If the VGA detects that, it reduces its clockspeed (ie. goes from 100% to 0%) and when everything is fine, it goes back. Also, you said that furmark worked just fine, but when you were running formark, the CPU was barely utilized, and the VGA had all the power to itself.

On the other hand, I can't explain the grey screen stuff, but that again, may be caused by serious undervoltage that actually froze the VGA.

So, try a different PSU and if it doesn't help, return the VGA.

Heez93

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Thanks for your answer. I'll try it out tomorrow! But the thing is that it SHOULDNT exceed the power limit.. So there should be a flaw with the GPU, or not? Even if it works with a higher W PSU. I'll get to try a GTX 770 tomorrow for the time I'll have to wait for the new one. I'll definitely try it with my old 650W PSU. But I don't know whether it will freeze at the start up of Windows 10 again.

TRENDING THREADS