[SOLVED] Gpu overclock burn

Jun 17, 2020
I got recently a rtx 580 gpu, tried to overclock it and after playing borderlands 3 for a bit i heard a loud pop noise and my pc closed. Haven’t touched the pc since. Also, after reading on other forums, i saw that this happens when power supply fails. But this happened while overclocking gpu probably too much. Help.

Solution
You don't need to disable integrated graphics, you just need to move the cable that goes into the monitor from the motherboard to the GPU.

Unfortunately, it's the classic case of going cheap with a garbage power supply. Hopefully, the GPU is fine, but there is a decent chance you destroyed the GPU. Buying a cheap power supply is frequently one of the most expensive decisions.
Jun 17, 2020
What power supply do you have?
Delux dual-core power supply model DLP-50A MAX POWER 650W AC INPUT 230V/50hz 6A DC OUTPUT(MAX). Also, power supply smells more burnt than my graphics card.

Now that I think about it, it probably popped because i put the power slider too high in the AMD overclock software, at 50.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It popped because the psu was already on thin ice. Applying an overclock on what is already the most stressful part of a gaming PC was the final nail in the coffin.
Cheap, low quality psus can take other devices out with them; they're connected to literally everything. Hopefully, nothing else was damaged.
If so, let this be an expensive lesson to never cheap out on the heart of your PC.

Jun 17, 2020
Update: I got a new and better power supply, but now my pc is using the intel integrated gpu instead of the 580, even though it still shows up in device manager. I tried disabling the intel integrated graphics from device manager and all i see is black screen now. Is the 580 dead? Do I have to buy a new one now?

DSzymborski

Titan
You don't need to disable integrated graphics, you just need to move the cable that goes into the monitor from the motherboard to the GPU.

Unfortunately, it's the classic case of going cheap with a garbage power supply. Hopefully, the GPU is fine, but there is a decent chance you destroyed the GPU. Buying a cheap power supply is frequently one of the most expensive decisions.

Solution
Jun 17, 2020

You are right. God I’m stupid. Anyway, gpu seems fine for now at least. The rest of the components too.