[SOLVED] GPU overclocks itself...?

stathis7

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
Hi everyone,
so, i recently built a new system (i7 9700k, gigabyte RTX 2060 SUPER OC 8GB stock overclocked @ 1815 MHz, gigabyte Aorus Z390 pro motherboard, 16 GB of Corsair DDR4 RAM (@3200 MHz).
PSU is Corsair 650W and case is NZXT 510 elite...also, i use windows 10 pro x64, which runs on a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe.
As mentioned above, the GPU adevertised core clock is 1815 MHz, but as i found out (via MSI Afterburner, gpu-Z and NZXT CAM software), when playing a game (only Shadow of the tomb raider is tested for now), but also when i did the heaven benchmark, the gpu core clock is constantly @ 1935 MHz instead 1815.
So, i wonder..is this normal? is there a danger of ruining the gpu? (gpu temp goes up to 74-75 degrees Celsius--> is this OK?)
Also, i noticed that the CPU runs constantly @ 4,6 GHZ instead of 3,6 GHz, even at idle or just web browsing etc..so, same question: is this normal? (it has something to do with intel turbo boost i suppose..)

Solution
Both CPU and GPU are fine. What you see is Intel turbo boost as you mentioned and Nvidia GPU boost.
When there is enough cooling and power , both your CPU and GPU overclock on their own. When the power or cooling is not enough, they will return to lower frequencies to cool down.

It's perfectly fine.
Both CPU and GPU are fine. What you see is Intel turbo boost as you mentioned and Nvidia GPU boost.
When there is enough cooling and power , both your CPU and GPU overclock on their own. When the power or cooling is not enough, they will return to lower frequencies to cool down.

It's perfectly fine.

Solution

stathis7

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014

It's perfectly fine.
Thanks for your reply..i see..glad that this is normal..one more thing though: while playing Shadow of the tomb raider, the game crashed to windows (twice for the time being) with a message saying that either i have to upgrade my system, or reduce the ingame graphics settings, which doesnt make sense, since i get 100 fps on ultra settings..so, i suspected that maybe the self overclocked gpu @ 1935 mhz caused that..and thats another reason i made the question to begin with..so, this could be a bug in the game or something and not the gpus' fault right?

I am pretty sure that it has something to do with the game and not with your system. If it's happening only in that game, it's a very strong indication that it's game related.

Also the message says to upgrade. When the GPU applies overclock it's a very small upgrade. You can try reducing the settings and see if it's still happening but I am fairly convinced that it's a bug.

stathis7

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
I am pretty sure that it has something to do with the game and not with your system. If it's happening only in that game, it's a very strong indication that it's game related.

Also the message says to upgrade. When the GPU applies overclock it's a very small upgrade. You can try reducing the settings and see if it's still happening but I am fairly convinced that it's a bug.
Yes i also think that it has something to do with a bug of some kind..i will keep checking with the same game, and also try another game soon and see if i get the same message or not..thanks..