Question Gpu Overheating CPU?

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I hope someone can help with a problem I've been experiencing. With my i7 7700k at stock speeds and Noctua dh15, my cpu reaches around 77 degrees with prime 26.6 small ftt stress tests which from what i've read. is within the ballpark of "normal" operation. That is with mce boost 4.5gz and xmp enabled. However if I run the same test after my gpu heats up, cpu immediately jumps to 83 degrees and rising according to realtemp. Is it normal for a gpu to add that much heat to the cpu? My case has pretty good cooling: 2 front intake, bottom intake, 1 rear exhaust and both cpu fans directed to the exhaust. My cpu voltage is set to auto as i'm not really comfortable adjusting it manually but the max I've seen it go is 1.248v according to hwmonitor.
Win 10
i7 7700k
noctua dh15
asus prime z270
16g ddr 4
evga 2080
750w gold corsair psu
fractal r5 case

Move the bottom intake to the top rear fan location as a second exhaust. Getting heat OUT of the case, in or moving towards negative pressure (Or equal, for a best of both worlds approach), improves cooling performance. Obviously, with the caveat that in order for negative pressure to improve cooling performance there must also be sufficient intake to replenish the ambient airflow into the case in sufficient quantity that nothing is starved. So two front intakes, one rear exhaust and one top rear exhaust are about the most standard, well recommended cooling configuration for most systems.

Right now you have tremendous positive pressure, and are actually getting VERY little heat OUT of the case, especially with that particular case which I assume you have the moduvent covers all in place on top so no heat is escaping out that way?

I would try that, and see what happens with those temps. Also, just to cover all bases, you DO have the large intake fan grill on the power supply facing DOWN towards the matching intake vent grill in the bottom of the case, not up into the case, right?

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Yes, my psu is installed with psu fan facing down and the top case covers are all still in place. I wasn't sure if using those spaces was a good idea since there is no mesh dust filters on them. I will do what you suggested and move the bottom intake to a top exhaust position and see if that improvers the temps at all.

There doesn't need to be filters on the exhaust fans. Any dust that those fans encounter will have already BEEN INSIDE the case and doesn't matter, and you WANT it blown OUT of the case, anyhow.

Exhaust fans don't use filters. Only intake fans should be filtered unless you are shooting for cleaning out the air in your room rather than just keeping dust out of the PC. LOL.