Question GPU overheating issue

gunmetals

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
So recently I decided to clean the dust out of my PC with a can of compressed air, in particular my GPU which was having overheating issues beforehand. I unseated the GPU, cleaned it thoroughly and then reseated it. My computer started up no problem and all was well.
But then I tried to launch a game and immediately my GPU temps skyrocketed up to 70-80 degrees celsius and my I lost input most likely because my GPU shut off. I restarted, tried playing a game and again I was met with the same result.
My idling temperatures are fine. I use MSI afterburner but my core and memory clock is the lowest possible.
My GPU is https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GAMING-RX-470-4G/dp/B01JS9F9K4 , and yes my drivers are up to date.

gunmetals

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
What Power supply model are you using ? List the PSU's brand as well as model number. But 70 C isn't a very alarming situation to worry much about, IMO. Do you alos have proper air flow inside your ATX cabinet ??
My air flow is fine - no overheating issues with any other components. My power supply is a corsair VS550. My GPU was a little bit on the fritz beforehand. Typically if my temps stayed at 55-60 for too long, the GPU would switch off and I'd have to reset. So I ended up having to play on low settings in order to prevent my temps getting that high.
I'm feeling I may have to scrap this GPU and buy a new one?

Could this be an issue with thermal paste?

I'm not fully sure regarding that TP issue, so I can't comment on this part. Wait for others to guide you further. BTW, I don't think 70-80 degrees would be called as an overheating issue though ?

But if your GPU shuts itself off after some time, then there might be some issue/fault with your PSU, and/or the GPU itself in question.

Apr 3, 2019
It sounds like when you reconnected it the CPU/GPU paste which dries up over time with it being heated><cooled.. didn't bond well, Arctic Silver do a Ceramic paste I really trust & other silver based ones which are good. If this problem wasn't there before You took it apart then its unlikely to be the PSU. also check the double connector 6+6 or 6+8 are pressed together tightly. goodluck.0range
[p.s. an MSI RX470 isn't olde ..it should be fine @ 1080p screensize for a few years ..what res is your monitor dude?]

Apr 3, 2019
well its a step in the right direction! -often when I advise or help others who go beyond air-can cleaning, I advise them to pre-buy some Arctic Silver paste -So when we take it all apart & clean all the paste off both sides & polish the cooler plate -with a none abrasive cloth ..the better connection = better cooling.
buy some paste & make it a thorough job once..