Question GPU overload & monitor freeze. NZXT H1 v1 (because of riser cable PCIe 3.0 ?)

Sep 2, 2024
Hi! For some time now I have been facing the problem of the monitor freezing (and sound from the monitor) during the game, even if the game is not too demanding on the computer parameters (freezing has been seen in multiple games, so I'm ruling out the idea that it's a game-specific issue.). To return the PC to working condition, a hard reboot is required.

Computer specs:

* NZXT H1 v1 (with 650 watt power supply and built-in water cooling)
* MSI B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI
* AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
* NVIDIA RTX 3070
* 32 GB Crucial DDR4 3200 MHz
* Samsung 970 EV Plus 1TB

I managed to take measurements of the GPU & CPU parameters (via NZXT cam) at the time when the freezes began (before the monitor completely froze):

* GPU Temp: 55-60 °C (seems ok)
* GPU Load: 98-104 %
* GPU Clock: 1965 MHz
* GPU Fan: 1612 RPM
* CPU Temp: 42 °C
* CPU Load: \~10%
* RAM Load: 7.6 GB

Reinstalled Windows 10. Updated the main drivers for the motherboard, GPU, and CPU. I also cleaned the computer, there should be no overheating. I assume that the problem may be due to the outdated riser cable that was included with NZXT H1 v1 case. It is PCIe 3.0, and the motherboard and GPU are PCIe 4.0. I forcibly installed PCIe 3.0 connection in the BIOS.

Buying a new Riser 4.0 cable will cost around 80-90 EUR (link below). I would like to know Yours opinion, how realistic is it that Riser 4.0 will solve my problem, and is there any way to find out the exact cause of the freezes. Thanks in advance!

[https://www.amazon.de/-/en/LINKUP-R...14353&sprefix=pcie4ext11sl-028,aps,70&sr=8-1)

try without riser cable

did you update the BIOS to the latest version yet?
did you overclock the system?
do you use any adapters to power the GPU? is it one 6+2 connector from the PSU? is the cable original from this PSU?