Question Gpu packaging for shipping

Sep 24, 2021
Hi,

I sold my gpu and I packed it for delivery. However, I could hear it move inside the original box. Should I worry about the gpu? Is it possible it can get damaged during delivery? It has all the foam etc around though, it was just loose. Asking cause not sure if I should be getting prepared for the money going back to the buyer.

Sep 24, 2021
If you think it's moving and you don't like it, add a bit more foam to how it's packed.
Unfortunately, I've already handed it over to a deliveryman. Started worrying when I thought of deliverymen throwing packages all around, so I just wanted to know if anyone here has had such experience.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Too late to worry now.

Movement inside of a box when shipping electronics, or anything moderately heavy, is not a good thing.

Object should be suspended with at least 2cm of material between it and the outside of the package. More distance as the weight of the object grows. And at weights approaching 10Kg or more, you should consider hard packaging material internally. ie braced with wood, hard foams or plastics.

larkspur

Distinguished
Unfortunately, I've already handed it over to a deliveryman. Started worrying when I thought of deliverymen throwing packages all around, so I just wanted to know if anyone here has had such experience.
A long time ago Newegg used to ship hard disk drives loose in boxes. While they had bubble-wrap around the drive itself, they would still rattle around inside the box. Sometimes they added a little bit of paper wadding but this was insufficient. A LOT of people complained about bad HDD shipping practices and DOA HDDs and I believe they started packaging them better. Anyway - it's a good idea to pack your components well when shipping. You'll probably be ok since this is a GPU, but in the future do a better job packing that thing in there. Hopefully all will be well for you and the buyer!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A long time ago Newegg used to ship hard disk drives loose in boxes. While they had bubble-wrap around the drive itself, they would still rattle around inside the box. Sometimes they added a little bit of paper wadding but this was insufficient. A LOT of people complained about bad HDD shipping practices and DOA HDDs and I believe they started packaging them better. Anyway - it's a good idea to pack your components well when shipping. You'll probably be ok since this is a GPU, but in the future do a better job packing that thing in there. Hopefully all will be well for you and the buyer!

Oh, I would expect a bent expansion slot / rear I/O if nothing else. Maybe damaged fan shroud.

Not a small weight to be bouncing around.

And if the box isn't particularly strong, you might see crush damage.

Sep 24, 2021
Oh, I would expect a bent expansion slot / rear I/O if nothing else. Maybe damaged fan shroud.

Not a small weight to be bouncing around.

And if the box isn't particularly strong, you might see crush damage.
I mean, that was original box provided by the manufacturer with foams etc inside, it was just moving a little. I had original antistatic bag as well. Moreover, I wrapped the box in bubble wrap. Actually the buyer received the package today, so I wanted to state it to anyone wondering in the future that the gpu is damaged and does not output any video, although nothing is crushed, bent etc. No luck here, but that's just my fault, better to be safe than sorry in the future. Thank you all for your help though

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When you say wrapped in bubblewrap, did you put the OEM box in another box, or just wrap it in bubble wrap and tape? Once the air structure is pierced, bubble wrap is useless. You have to protect the wrap from abrasion and sharp objects.

Original packaging is best actually, surprised it didn't make it. When you placed the card back into the bag, how did you go about it? Anti-static basically means conductive, you want to make sure you equalize the potential between the bag and card before you insert it, make sure both you touch both the bag and card's ground plane (or expansion slot bracket) before touching the bag to the card. Avoids static shock.

Same procedure when removing a card from an antistatic bag. It is possible it did survive the journey and was damaged during installation.

Mostly leaving this advice for posterity.

Sep 24, 2021
When you say wrapped in bubblewrap, did you put the OEM box in another box, or just wrap it in bubble wrap and tape? Once the air structure is pierced, bubble wrap is useless. You have to protect the wrap from abrasion and sharp objects.

Original packaging is best actually, surprised it didn't make it. When you placed the card back into the bag, how did you go about it? Anti-static basically means conductive, you want to make sure you equalize the potential between the bag and card before you insert it, make sure both you touch both the bag and card's ground plane (or expansion slot bracket) before touching the bag to the card. Avoids static shock.

Same procedure when removing a card from an antistatic bag. It is possible it did survive the journey and was damaged during installation.

Mostly leaving this advice for posterity.
I didn't put the oem box in another box, just wrapped it and taped.

Basically I did not equalize the potential between the bag and the card - unfortunately I'd thought that it'd be allright just to put it inside the bag without any additional effort. Regret not having asked here before packaging, but that'll be pretty useful info from now on.

Sorry if I'd made anything unclear - I'm not a native speaker and I know I do make many mistakes when speaking English.