Question GPU performance dropping after gamesession

THEVOLTAGEX2

Prominent
May 28, 2019
Hello everybody

Since short i have a strange problem with my GTX 1080 ti. When i start my pc and i run a framerate tester (via msi afterburner) i get a +/- 120 fps at 3440x1440 in fullscreen.
But when i'm gaming for a while my performance start to drop. when i do this test again i sometimes get a max fps of 60-70, once even a max of 25 fps.
When i restart my pc it gets back to 120 fps till the same problem occurs again. What could be the cause of this?

specs:

MSI GTX 1080 TI Gaming X trio
intel i5 8600k
16gb ram ddr4

Have you checked your temps and voltages?
If not.....this is where I would start.
You can check your temps in Afterburner.
Voltages can be checked in HWInfo.

I like the CPU to be below 70C....the GPU below 80C and the voltages should be withing 5% of +12, +5 and + 3.3V.

THEVOLTAGEX2

Prominent
May 28, 2019
i'm using 700W Power supply. have this graphics card for about 1 year now and never had any problem. My cpu heat averages from 70-80° non overclocked and GPU heat also around 70°

May 28, 2019
Hello everybody

Since short i have a strange problem with my GTX 1080 ti. When i start my pc and i run a framerate tester (via msi afterburner) i get a +/- 120 fps at 3440x1440 in fullscreen.
But when i'm gaming for a while my performance start to drop. when i do this test again i sometimes get a max fps of 60-70, once even a max of 25 fps.
When i restart my pc it gets back to 120 fps till the same problem occurs again. What could be the cause of this?

specs:

intel i5 8600k
16gb ram ddr4

Hey, I have exactly the same problem as you do. 1080ti, i7 8700k. Games start running a 90 fps and end up at 20-30 fps after some playtime. Gotta restart to "solve" it. Please let me know if you fix it

Aug 4, 2019
Hello everybody

specs:

intel i5 8600k
16gb ram ddr4
I am also having the same issue. Would be interested if anyone else has found a permanent solution, besides rebooting and waiting for it to happen again.

THEVOLTAGEX2

Prominent
May 28, 2019
I am also having the same issue. Would be interested if anyone else has found a permanent solution, besides rebooting and waiting for it to happen again.

Hello, yeah it was a weird issue, i actually just went with the stock settings then and didn't have the issue anymore, performance stayed the same trough my whole session. since short i'm tried the overclocking again and now i'm at +60 core clock and +700 memory clock and the performance doesn't decrease anymore. Back when i made this post i was playing COD advanced warfare (campaign) and it seemed like after every mission if there was a loading screen, the performance dropped. maybe that sounds crazy but can't think of another cause... :D

Aug 4, 2019
Hello, yeah it was a weird issue, i actually just went with the stock settings then and didn't have the issue anymore, performance stayed the same trough my whole session. since short i'm tried the overclocking again and now i'm at +60 core clock and +700 memory clock and the performance doesn't decrease anymore. Back when i made this post i was playing COD advanced warfare (campaign) and it seemed like after every mission if there was a loading screen, the performance dropped. maybe that sounds crazy but can't think of another cause... :D
Awesome, I'll give that a try and hopefully it will work for me as well! Thank you for the advice

Aug 4, 2019
Awesome, I'll give that a try and hopefully it will work for me as well! Thank you for the advice

After trying out THEVOLTAGEX2's advice it appears that this works. For some reason allowing the Aorus 1080Ti to draw more than 100% power, puts the card into a negative feedback loop. Not really sure why this is happening, but atleast I can keep my card from self throttling.

TRENDING THREADS