Question GPU Performance Issue

Jan 5, 2023
My GF has a gaming PC that over the past few days has been having frame rate issues (AMD 3600, RTX 2060, 16 GB ram 3,200 mhz, 1 TB ssd, & 650 watt PS.) She plays mostly Valheim, Cities Skylines & Timberborne. Her framerate has been stable previously and now stays in the mid 20's. No game updates during the time when the issue began. All driver and system updates have been done (not including MB bios). The framerate issues happen across all games I've booted up. System stats (using Nvdia Geforce Experience) show the gpu is running at 30% usage max (usually in the 20's) and the gpu power is at 45 watts max. The temps only go into the mid 40's and the GPU fans appear to be functioning properly. The CPU is not going above 35% usage.
Any help would definitely be appreciated and thanks in advance

Jan 5, 2023
Hey there,

What power profile is she running?

Updating the bios is possibly key here. There are a few bugs that have been solved for GPU issues, by updating the bios. What Bios is she running?

What mobo is running on the rig?

She is running the performance profile. I don't know the exact model of the MB I know it's an ASROCK and I think a B350 and I don't know what BIOS she's on. I know she hasn't updated the bios since purchase (it was purchased from Ibuypower) I'll have to check when I get home.

Jan 5, 2023
brand and model of the psu?
ram and ssd usage?
I don't know the psu model or brand. She purchased the the system from Ibuypower. I do know that she upgraded the psu at purchase from the base offering. I think it's a 650 watt. I'll have to find out what brand and update when I get off of work.
Nothing stood out with the ram usage and I didn't think to check the ssd usage. I'll check it out when I get home.

She is running the performance profile. I don't know the exact model of the MB I know it's an ASROCK and I think a B350 and I don't know what BIOS she's on. I know she hasn't updated the bios since purchase (it was purchased from Ibuypower) I'll have to check when I get home.

Okay, no worries. I'd defo suggest updating the bios, as this brings many bug fixes for GPU's, mem compatibility and performance enhancements for the CPU.

You can run CPUz and go to the motherboard tab, and it will show the bios version. I'd expect that to be a big help.

Let us know the mobo and bios version and we can help you update it, and see if it solves the issue.

Reactions: Daddylikesbeer
Jan 5, 2023
Okay, no worries. I'd defo suggest updating the bios, as this brings many bug fixes for GPU's, mem compatibility and performance enhancements for the CPU.

You can run CPUz and go to the motherboard tab, and it will show the bios version. I'd expect that to be a big help.

Let us know the mobo and bios version and we can help you update it, and see if it solves the issue.
I'll check it out and update you when I get home . I appreciate the help.

Jan 5, 2023

Ok. So I updated the bios from version 2.0 to 4.5 (MB is a ASrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4). No change in performance in any game. I'm at a loss at this point. My GPU usage in game is still maxing out at about 45 watts on the 2060. There was a brief moment where the wattage went above 120 but didn't hold. What should I look for next? I did look at the power supply and it is a Thermaltake Smart 600W and the ram is XPG (set to 3200 mhz in bios). CPU-Z is showing an uncore freq of 1330.6 Mhz (I don't know if that's correct or not)
CPU temp is at 55 degrees running at 4.2 mhz and I'm at 80% ram usage in game.

Additionally all loading of anything feels slower.

Just found out she defragged her ssd last weekend. Would this cause the isssue? (I booted up a different game, Stray, and that ran fine.

Ran a few more different games and some ran better (playable) gpu usage hit 90% in stray and no higher than 60% in others

Last edited:

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Ok. So I updated the bios from version 2.0 to 4.5 (MB is a ASrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4). No change in performance in any game. I'm at a loss at this point. My GPU usage in game is still maxing out at about 45 watts on the 2060. There was a brief moment where the wattage went above 120 but didn't hold. What should I look for next? I did look at the power supply and it is a Thermaltake Smart 600W and the ram is XPG (set to 3200 mhz in bios). CPU-Z is showing an uncore freq of 1330.6 Mhz (I don't know if that's correct or not)

Just found out she defragged her ssd last weekend. Would this cause the isssue? (I booted up a different game, Stray, and that ran fine.

Ran a few more different games and some ran better (playable) gpu usage hit 90% in stray and no higher than 60% in others
Hopefully you meant she ran TRIM on the SSD. Never defrag and SSD. I would lean more towards software at this point. Have you had a look to see what Task Mgr shows such as memory used, to see if there is a process that is running in the background consuming too much resources?

What AV is your GF using? I prefer Windows Defender because it tends to have low system resources. McAfee, AVAST etc, those tend to consume more resources. I would temporarily disable the AV to see if that could be the problem.

I would also look at trying the GPU driver she was on before the problem started. That's if you can remember.

Mke sure to clear CMOS after doing the bios update. The process will be outlined in your mobo manual.

Reactions: Daddylikesbeer
Jan 5, 2023
No probs. Let us know if it helps the issue at hand.
So, I cleared the cmos and set the xmp profile back to 3200 mhz. No change in performance problems.
I then did a reset of the pc (windows reset and kept files). reinstalled steam, nvidia gforce experince and other apps. No change in performance problems.
I really don't know what to do next.

Dave Thompson

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2014
I would be checking for malware infections and display drivers at this point. Maybe go back to a previous display driver. I'm a novice, sorry, but you have my sympathies regarding crappy frame-rates. How's the GPU temp? Could it be throttling due to overheating?

Jan 5, 2023
I would be checking for malware infections and display drivers at this point. Maybe go back to a previous display driver. I'm a novice, sorry, but you have my sympathies regarding crappy frame-rates. How's the GPU temp? Could it be throttling due to overheating?
As of now I've tried at least 5 previous display drivers with no luck. All temps on gpu and cpu are comfortably below limits, cpu in the 50's and gpu is in the 40's (I think this is mostly due to it not reaching above 45% usage

Jan 5, 2023
So, I've upgraded to windows 11. Tried dropping back to older GPU drivers and the same thing. I ran a benchmark using Heaven Benchmark tool and it pushed the gpu to 100% the whole time. I downloaded a game using epic game store and everything works fine. It appears to only be in steam games at the moment. What would cause this?