Question GPU power drops and game drops frames ?

Jul 15, 2021
so ive been having this issue since my last pc which had a r5 3600 and a rtx 2080 super and 16gb ram all powered by a 650w psu. i got a totally new pc with a rtx 3080 r7 5800x and 32gb ram powered with 850w psu

full specs of new pc:
rtx 3080 msi gaming x trio stock settings latest driver(new)
r7 5800x stock settings(new)
32gb ram 3200mhz corsair vengeance rgb pro(new) xmp is on
b550 tomahawk(new)
2x HDD 1x 1tb WD caviar green(very old) and 1x 2tb seagate barracuda(from previous system)
2x ssd 1x nvme 250gb(from previous system) 970 evo plus samsung and 1x sata m.2 450gb kingston (os drive which is new)
windows 10 pro activated
GX850 PSU from seasonic 80+ gold
g7 odyssey 1440p 240hz monitor

things ive tried:
  • reinstalling drivers using ddu
  • reseating gpu and pcie cables of gpu
  • try another gpu (1080 Ti) still had the stuttering and gpu power drop but happened less due to it running at way lower frames than my 3080
  • tried another ram
  • removed all the hdd and ssd that were from my old computer which are the 970 evo plus and the 2 hard drives and installed a clean copy of windows on my brand new kingston m.2 sata drive
  • turning off xmp
  • tweaking windows settings
  • checking if any background apps are running
  • turning off instant replay
  • using old gpu driver
  • making sure temps are ok
  • tweaking nvidia control panel settings
  • turning off gsync
  • turning off one of my 2 monitors

i have tried everything software related i think the issue is beyond software, i have a suspicion its my surge protector or my power outlet because im not convinced that my corsair tx650m from my old system and my gx850 psu from my current system are faulty.

i did try limiting frames to no avail but even if it worked, why limit the frames i have the same right as someone else who owns the same specs and doesnt need to limit frames. i dont know it just makes me annoyed that this happens to me and me only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i can come discord if someone wants it would be much easier and i could send screenshots/videos of anything you require to help me

So the 3080 can cook you a loaf of bread while you game from the heat it generates:sneaky:. So monitor the gpu's thermal temps with cpuid HWmonitor. HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID If it is getting up in to the 70's it may be thermal throttling and slowing down your gpu to cool itsself. You can use MSI Afterburner and create your own fan curve to keep it running cooler, which in turn will keep it from throttling. https://prnt.sc/1bexuq8 See if this helps you.

Jul 15, 2021
So the 3080 can cook you a loaf of bread while you game from the heat it generates:sneaky:. So monitor the gpu's thermal temps with cpuid HWmonitor. HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID If it is getting up in to the 70's it may be thermal throttling and slowing down your gpu to cool itsself. You can use MSI Afterburner and create your own fan curve to keep it running cooler, which in turn will keep it from throttling. https://prnt.sc/1bexuq8 See if this helps you.
my friend has a 3090 and it reaches 80 degrees and he never gets those problems. i really dont think its thermal throttling it reaches a max of 75 while gaming which yes isnt the best but its a beefy card