News GPU Prices in China Increase, Portending Broader Hikes

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In a news thread awhile back I said this wouldn't calm down 'till 2023... heh, perhaps I wasn't far off the mark after all...

When is this insanity going to end?
When demand goes down.
Supply is as high as it's ever been, even pre-Covid - or so I've inferred from reading around...
People still want/need graphics cards. Expect the next gen of cards to be caught up in it too.
Since enough people are displaying that they're fine with paying higher prices, companies/resellers are missing out on potential profits by not raising prices.

So in the end, blame people: it'll end when enough of us decide it's over.

This craze will continue as long as crypto exchanges still allow you to convert crypto coins into "real" money (USD, whatever). Money rules - it doesn't matter what problems occurs, that's for someone else to deal with.

If/when this pandemic calms down worldwide, I think we'll still have supply shortage as long as miners (commercial or individuals) keep buying cards en masse. That keeps supply short, and it definitely isn't to Nvidia/AMD/AIBs' benefit to have lower prices. So to use a trite phrase - higher GPU prices is the "new normal" - sadly.