News GPU Prices Plummet Along With Crypto

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

InvalidError

Titan
So all of these stupidly erxpensive GPUs are for gaming.
Doesn't matter what it is branded and marketed for. If it can do other jobs, people will use it for other jobs (ex.: crypto-mining) too and gamers will still end up competing on the market for GPUs against everyone who wants to use them for whatever else, turning PC gaming into a hobby for millionaires who don't mind current GPU prices.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
You missed the part where I bolded the "gaming" word. That's the issue part, for "gaming". Not pro-sumer work, workstations etc. So for those that only game.
No I didn't miss that part. You said ¨gaming gpu.¨ People use gaming gpus for work and mining and many other things. And even still if you only game and do nothing else on your PC (which very few people do) it is worth it to spend a couple thousand dollars on a PC for some people because that is their source for entertainment. I don't understand what point you are trying to make with these posts.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Doesn't matter what it is branded and marketed for. If it can do other jobs, people will use it for other jobs (ex.: crypto-mining) too and gamers will still end up competing on the market for GPUs against everyone who wants to use them for whatever else, turning PC gaming into a hobby for millionaires who don't mind current GPU prices.
And how's that a good thing? How is that not crazy?
No I didn't miss that part. You said ¨gaming gpu.¨ People use gaming gpus for work and mining and many other things. And even still if you only game and do nothing else on your PC (which very few people do) it is worth it to spend a couple thousand dollars on a PC for some people because that is their source for entertainment. I don't understand what point you are trying to make with these posts.
The current GPU prices are crazy, next gen prices will be even more crazy and only crazy people support them and will happily pay them: $3000 GPUs, then $4000 GPUs, then $5000 GPUs (not entire PCs, just the GPU... a gaming GPU, not a prosumer or server one).

I don't expect those that are part of problem to actually agree. I also don't care if they don't, because them agreeing or not, does not change these facts: these prices are crazy and those paying them are too. That's my point.

You're not gonna change my mind, as much I can change yours. So let's stop here, it's getting redundant.

Jan 3, 2022
According to charts of last year, prices were increasing till May when they peaked about 315% of MSRP, then decrease was till August to 148% MSRP, and slight increase till December 2022 to 177% MSRP. We shall see how are the charts this year.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
For nvidia as long as it has the Geforce brand as a prefix it's a gaming GPU and the drivers and it's limitations prove that too. That's why the 3090 is a fool's Titan GPU, because it's not an actual Titan GPU, it's a lie or more exactly a clever deceit from Jensen, when he said "Titan class", but he did not say Titan card, nor name it Titan. So technically he did not lie, yet people believed something else.
The Titan cards use regular Geforce gaming drivers. And most of them use the same dies as regular Geforce GPUs. The only exceptions were are the Titan V (die was never used for regular Geforce GPUs), and the original Titan (Black), which used the same die but had non-gimped FP64 performance.

So in other words, Nvidia could have just as easily called the 3090 a Titan.

Edit: My only guess as go why they didn't is that they wanted to reserve this generation's Titan moniker in case they decided to release a consumer/prosumer card based on the GA100 die. Or to use it for a fully-enabled GA102, but they seem to be going with 3090 Ti for that.

Last edited:

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
The Titan cards use regular Geforce gaming drivers. And most of them use the same dies as regular Geforce GPUs. The only exceptions were are the Titan V (die was never used for regular Geforce GPUs), and the original Titan (Black), which used the same die but had non-gimped FP64 performance.

So in other words, Nvidia could have just as easily called the 3090 a Titan.

Edit: My only guess as go why they didn't is that they wanted to reserve this generation's Titan moniker in case they decided to release a consumer/prosumer card based on the GA100 die. Or to use it for a fully-enabled GA102, but they seem to be going with 3090 Ti for that.
This post explains on detail much better than I could in few words here why the 3090 is not a Titan, and why it could never be called one. Jensen was right not to call it, because it misses key Titan features and he would just destroy the Titan brand if he did that... read it > The 3090 is not a Titan replacement and here is why.

InvalidError

Titan
It is what it is and the only thing people who cannot afford current GPU prices can do about it is not buy into it. At some point, either AMD and Nvidia will run out of customers and prices will come down. PC game developers will have to target lower-end GPUs for development because most of the market cannot afford anything better or they will have to give up on PCs altogether.

The current GPU prices are crazy, next gen prices will be even more crazy and only crazy people support them and will happily pay them: $3000 GPUs, then $4000 GPUs, then $5000 GPUs (not entire PCs, just the GPU... a gaming GPU, not a prosumer or server one).

I don't expect those that are part of problem to actually agree. I also don't care if they don't, because them agreeing or not, does not change these facts: these prices are crazy and those paying them are too. That's my point.

You're not gonna change my mind, as much I can change yours. So let's stop here, it's getting redundant.

Thing is those "gaming" GPU capable of doing other things that is not related to gaming. And it is very profitable for them (crypto). They see those gpu as a money printing item for them so they buy gpu in bulk and yet they still wiling to pay above MSRP price for it. Usually people asking for discount when buying bulk but those miners are doing the opposite thing. Now gamer need to compete with miners that willing to pay crazy price for those "gaming" gpu.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
This post explains on detail much better than I could in few words here why the 3090 is not a Titan, and why it could never be called one. Jensen was right not to call it, because it misses key Titan features and he would just destroy the Titan brand if he did that... read it > The 3090 is not a Titan replacement and here is why.
Essentially all the info in that post is wrong, or is just as true of Titan cards as it is of the RTX 3090.
  • "No access to NGX" - All RTX cards can use NGX, including the 3090
  • "Artificial limitation to "non pro" drivers" - Applies to all Titan cards
  • "Artificial limitation to half-rate on the tensor cores for FP32 Accumulate (ie, the actually useful part for Deep Learning)" - The 3090 has the same tensor performance as the RTX A6000 ( Quadro/pro workstation) and A40 (Tesla/pro accelerator). So even if this limitation is "artificial", the same limitation exists in all cards that use the GA102, across all their product lines
  • "Not much VRAM" - Not sure what defines "not much", but if that means having only half the VRAM of the top end Quadro/Telsa cards that share the same die, then the same applies to multiple past Titan cards

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
You missed the part where I bolded the "gaming" word. That's the issue part, for "gaming". Not pro-sumer work, workstations etc. So for those that only game.

So everybody who buy Lambo, Ferari, Aston-Martin, etc, is also insane ? They only toys, can not be use in full potential (except may be in German), hard to maneuver and park in the city, and most of them already have another car (smaller, might be eco friendly) for the transportation function. :giggle: