News GPU Pricing Downtrend Stagnates

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I wasn't expecting the GPU prices to drop significantly to be honest. The problem stems from very limited supply since the start. Mining demand made it worst, but with mining out of the picture for now, the supply is still bad. One look on online retailers shows that while stock is more readily available, they are very limited, and those selling at a lower price will be scooped up shortly after they are listed. And sadly, because of the very limited supply, scalpers are still thriving.

andrewkelb

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
It would be nice if there was some down time between crypto booms but there might only be a stagnation, with desperate builders paying inflated prices while miners sell their least profitable gpus and scalpers scoop them up knowing they can sit on them when the crypto boom picks up later in the year or early next year. Something will replace ethereum when it can no longer be mined on gpus, so I expect this cycle will last for awhile.

InvalidError

Titan
Retailers lost their bet against their customers thanks to China crashing the crypto market and now customers are stuck with the bill since retailers don't want to eat into their own inflated margins on past sales.

Maybe they will think twice about over-paying their distributors next time.

Reactions: Krotow and Jim90

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
It is very unlikely the prices will crash to original msrp prices anytime soon. Number of cards shipped is still fairly low and retailers are facing same fixed costs of running their businesses on one end and limited supply to sell on the other.

While actual gpu chips are pumped out by nvidia at a steady pace right now, severe shortages of GDDR6 memory will keep the number of new cards shipped to customers low throughout the year. Combine with a low vaccination % and rate at which delta is spreading, there is more trouble ahead for both Micron, Samsung and SK Hynix who produce vast majority of these chips. September will be a good indicator of what to expect till mid 2022.

Reactions: Krotow

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
We're going to have to wait until 2022 or 2023 for gaming hardware to become readily available again at reasonable prices. Almost a year after the 30-series launch, there's still nothing out there to buy unless you take very specific steps and glue yourself to a computer or phone to track stock obsessively. Same issue plaguing the consoles too.

I was hoping the GPU and console issues would push developers into the direction of focusing on story, characters, and AI rather than graphics. Not sure how that's panning out. Doesn't look like the big AAA studios know how to focus on things other than graphics.

Reactions: Krotow and Jim90

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
We're going to have to wait until 2022 or 2023 for gaming hardware to become readily available again at reasonable prices. Almost a year after the 30-series launch, there's still nothing out there to buy unless you take very specific steps and glue yourself to a computer or phone to track stock obsessively. Same issue plaguing the consoles too.

I was hoping the GPU and console issues would push developers into the direction of focusing on story, characters, and AI rather than graphics. Not sure how that's panning out. Doesn't look like the big AAA studios know how to focus on things other than graphics.

Big AAA studios have plenty of talented people to do just that. Problem is, they really can't afford to. AAA games are just too expensive to make to risk straying too far away from proven formulaes. That era has ended in mid 90's when production costs ballooned past 5mil+ mark. Move forward to current maket, where 50 mil budget is something nobody even bats and eye over.

With digital distribution taking hold, there has been great resurgence of Indie development. While it has showered us with tons of shovelware, it also gave birth to many original, inovative games which would have never seen the light of day otherwise. There's plenty to choose from if AAA production values are not a priority.

Jul 19, 2021
This blog said that China was shutting down mining - honest to god it was like reading someone pushing a penny stock. There is no way these miners are gonna give up that easily, I have heard most of them are just moving their operations to Vietnam and expect GPU prices to go back up.

Also why does anyone care what people use the GPU for and what they pay for it?

InvalidError

Titan
Also why does anyone care what people use the GPU for and what they pay for it?
Every GWh that gets wasted on crypto-mining is one more GWh that needs to be produced and transported, so there is a fairly substantial environmental reason to get rid of it. Then you have all of the e-waste generated by crypto-mining, all of the additional resources gobbled up by crypto-mining instead of other things in the middle of a global chip shortage, tax evasion, ransomware, etc.

I suspect the single biggest reason China is cracking down on crypto is to stop wealth exfiltration from the country - the CCP doesn't allow people to leave the country with a significant amount of money without specific approval. Converting wealth to crypto allows Chinese millionaires/billionaires to convert their Yuans to crypto and then whatever else outside the country without the CCP being able to do anything about it other than ban crypto altogether.

Jul 19, 2021
Fair enough, however, anyone who thinks these miners are just going to voluntarily stop, as Tom's like to push is just wrong. The crypto miners will find a way to restart operations, if not Ethereum it will be another coin. Like I said, last rumors I heard were the operations were moving to Vietnam - and TBH Vietnam won't care or crackdown.

drdccd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
GPU prices will encounter A domino effect, this is for sure, people will overstock their GPU, miners will sell the their GPUS with less than the street prices once AMD and Nvidia release their new cards according to the MSRP.

slam5

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
It would be nice if there was some down time between crypto booms but there might only be a stagnation, with desperate builders paying inflated prices while miners sell their least profitable gpus and scalpers scoop them up knowing they can sit on them when the crypto boom picks up later in the year or early next year. Something will replace ethereum when it can no longer be mined on gpus, so I expect this cycle will last for awhile.
well, the new crypto is based on storage, not gpu.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
At this rate I’m just not getting a new one, ever. I’ll just play legacy games and if there’s a new one I like, play at 1280x800 if supported and not worry about it.
And I say good for you and the rest of us. Noone should be buying anything at these prices, let them sit with their inventory at those exorbitant prices and wonder if they'd sell anything. F them all I say, they were so eager to inflate the prices, we need a way to punish them severely each time they do that. Hit them where it hurts the most-their wallet. Too bad there are way too many impatient kids with parents with deep pockets who will buy even at those prices and encourage those mfs. Perhaps the PC gaming industry needs to return to games that are interesting, not graphical, if more developers focused on gameplay and story instead of graphics we might see a true gaming renaissance, and perhaps the return of cheap middle tier graphics cards.

headloser

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
GPU pricing stagnates in its previously downtrend journey as resellers and the second-hand market attempt to safeguard their margins.

GPU Pricing Downtrend Stagnates : Read more
I just given up on getting a New GPU card until at least 2023. That when, in theory, the AMD's next-generation Radeon RX 'RDNA 3' is coming out. I should start putting certain amount per month in order to afford it. I using AMD GPU 580x card. It work great and I am not into 3D or monitor using 4K, I have no desire get them in the first place plus after being BURNT by the useless now Anthen game. I brought into the hype and lost over $100 CDN. Since it completely shut down. Waste of money. thank you and have a nice day.

w_o_t_q

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
see no problem, just wait till say 2022-23 and prices will be down. Reason people can start travel and do other activities which don`t required GPU and demand will go down together with the price plus those already bought GPU will remove themselves as potential customers. No new GPU expect Super 3000 ...

lyrx

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2015
GPU pricing stagnates in its previously downtrend journey as resellers and the second-hand market attempt to safeguard their margins.

GPU Pricing Downtrend Stagnates : Read more
Deskstops have been declining for years as are gamers who need top-of-the-line graphics. The manufacturers are driving more people out of the market with high prices leaving a smaller pool of buyers. Good luck selling a $1000 graphic card that's worth $400.

InvalidError

Titan
The manufacturers are driving more people out of the market with high prices leaving a smaller pool of buyers. Good luck selling a $1000 graphic card that's worth $400.
AMD and Nvidia are perfectly fine with that: more wafers for $10 000 datacenter/HPC GPGPUs. That is their highest growth market and has nearly infinitely deep wallets.