GPU Probably burned

Brocodo

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
After hours of messing around with my pc and reading threads I think my GPU might be fried for good.

So this is how it started: I recently placed my case between my desk and a wall. When before it was on top of my desk. And now on this particulary hot day and doing some heavy GPU tasks on my pc it shut down and I smelled burning.

I immidiately plugged out the cables and placed my case in the window opening and fanned it.

Then after opening my case and trying different things I came to these conclusions:

1) if only RAM, CPU and their power cables are connected i can see the cpu and psu fan working. But there is a CPU red burning instantly.

I have a sabertooth 990fx and read that it does not boot without an external GPU as it has no integrated GPU.

2) so then if i plug in my GPU + CPU + RAM with the required power cables my computer turns on for a split second and instantly turns everything off. I also hear a click sound coming from my PSU and the power button does not work anymore untill i reswitch the PSU toggle button. But then again and again the same split second powering result.

Now my question is, how can i check if my GPU is dead. Or maybe it is my PSU that broke?

Note: I had previous problems with the PSU. Whenever my PSU switch was toggled off and on my pc wouldnt boot with the same CPU red led as above. Then if i removed the cables and and press the power btn for 1 min it would work again after i keep trying. Once it booted i can just turn my pc off and on without problems as long as the PSU switch at the back stays ON.

I am pretty sure that the burning smell comes from my GPU. Even after hours of it being off after the probable burn. I also removed a lot of dust.

Any help is heavily appreciated! :)

~ Brandon

GTX 10000

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
Does it turn on without the GPU ? I mean boot to windows? If yes graphics card needs replacement. To be sure check the card on someone else's pc just to be sure. It almost confirmed that your GPU gone for good but there is still a slight chance that it could be your PSU.

Brocodo

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Shit. I accidently confirmed a solution but im not done yet...How can i change it back :(

Anyway, in a few hours i will use an old gpu and psu in my pc to determine if it is the GPU or the PSU, or both who knows.

Brocodo

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Thanks mod.

So if I am to buy a new GPU what would be the best card to go with my build:

CPU: amd fx 8350
MB: Sabertooth FX990 r2
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4GB

Preferably a Nvidia card as I really love shadowplay. I am planning to upgrade the GPU as long as it doesnt really bottleneck my CPU and send my fried GPU to the factory for a refund maybe. (I bought it less than 2 years ago)

Thanks for any advice.

Brocodo

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Btw my PSU is XFX Pro550W. Is that a good PSU to still use? Considering my earlier problems with the booting after the PSU is switched off?

I have not determined yet if the PSU or GPU broke. I'm going to test that at my friend later this day. But im pretty confident that the GPU broke.

plywrlw

Admirable
The best GPU would be the one you can afford to buy! Any recommendations would depend on your budget.

That PSU is still a good model. Not a modern design but well built.

Let us know what you discover when testing the gpu and PSU and we'll take it from there

Brocodo

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
I can confirm that using another GPU solves the problen and my PC booted succesfully.

However I still don' t know why I have to unplug the MB and CPU cable, hold the power button for 1 minute and only then I can boot my PC after a couple of times trying. If i do not do this i will see a red solid cpu led and it wont boot. Once it boots using this method there is no problem untill i switch the PSU off at the back again. Really weird right.

I dont really care about the budget. I saw i can buy a gtx 980 for 400 euros and i can affort that. But would it bottleneck my cpu?

Brocodo

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Honestly, I just booted it succesfully and don't want to struggle again with starting up the PC.

I've read that the GTX 980 does not use more Wattage than my fried GTX 780 ti. So I should be able to use the 550W psu with the new GTX 980 im about to buy right?

Next to that, I don't have money to buy a PSU and a GPU. So I will buy the GPU for now and if the PSU does not work well enough for that GPU I can always upgrade it afterwards right?

plywrlw

Admirable
A GTX 980 will be OK with your setup as long as you're not overclocking your CPU and assuming the PSU and mobo are OK.

Have you tried a CMOS reset of your motherboard by either shorting the relevant pins on the mobo or removing the CR2032 battery for a few mins?

Brocodo

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

I have not tried a CMOS reset yet. What do you mean by shorting the relevant pins and won't I need a replacing CR2032 battery after around 2 years?

plywrlw

Admirable
See this link for some information about how to clear the CMOS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

You only remove the battery briefly to get rid of any saved settings.

It might sort out the boot problems you experienced

Brocodo

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
I will try to clear the CMOS before I put in the new card.

However, I am now amazed by the price difference between the GTX 980 and the 970.

Is it really worth it the extra money to buy the 980?

Is there a big difference in performance?
I play in just 1080p and don't plan to go higher than that resolution.

Brocodo

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

The 980 is like 100-150 euro more expensive than the 970 for me.
So I'll get the 970 and save some money. I'm also gonna contact MSI and send my fried GPU to them, might get a repaired one or a new one and sell it.

Thanks a bunch for all your help everyone, and especially plywrlw for all the quick responses. :)
Tomshardware.co really proves me again to be a great community with best support.

I will receive my new GPU tomorrow (in about 12-16 hours from now).
And then I will try to clear the CMOS and post here if that problem is also solved.

Brocodo

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
So I cleared the CMOS (pulled the battery out and put it back in). And this did not solve the weird boot problem. However I probably found a way to boot it anyway its really weird.

So when the switch at the back was toggled off and I toggle it back on. I have to look at the MB for the green led to go on. Then i count to 3 (fast counts) and press the power button on 3. 90% of the time this works haha and then i have no problrms anymore as long as the switch stays on.

So its not a real fix, i mean its still weird but my PSU should be good enough for my rig right?

plywrlw

Admirable
Have you checked that the 24 pin and 4+4 pin motherboard cables are securely plugged into the motherboard?

If I were you I would start saving for a new PSU. The Pro 550W is a decent PSU but they do fail sometimes. I've had to return a Pro 450W fairly recently because it failed on me and the Pro550W is the exact same platform.

You should have a long warranty on the PSU at least. Hopefully if the PSU does fail it will do so in a controlled and sensible way because it's a quality unit. Your need to still power cycle the mobo suggests there's still a problem with PSU and/or mobo but if you're willing to wait it out they might limp along for years or they might fail soon, either way at least then you'll know which it was.