Question GPU Problem? TDR? I am completely lost...

Andrew Krosley

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Heres the specs for the 3 PC's used-

Main System (most of the problems)-
CPU- Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard- ASUS Rog Strix B550-A Gaming
PSU- Red Dragon PSU007 80+ 850Watt
GPU- Gigaybyte RTX 3080 Vison 10gb
Ram- DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRo SL 32GB
Case- Hyte Y40
AIO- NZXT Kraken 280 RGB
Extension Cables- AsiaHorse Sleeved Cables
Riser cable included
Storage- WD Blue SA510 500GB (OS), WD Green m.2 ssd, Another 150gb ssd

Stream PC-
CPU- Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard-B550I Aorus Pro AX
Ram- DDR4 16gb
PSU- 750 watt gold
(case)- In the NZXT H1 v2
Riser cable included
GPU- RTX 3060

Test PC-
CPU- Ryzen 5 4500
Motherboard- A520m-A Pro
No Riser cable.
Theres more specs but I don't think thats important

So here's the problem.... I've built 20+ PC's and troubleshooted many. I am completely lost.

I recently swapped cases (main pc) to the Hyte Y40. Everything booted correctly. I started to run some games and got TDR failure. Did some trouble shooting no luck at all. Eventually I didn't get any display and even just a black screen. I eventually put the RTX 3080 into the NZXT h1 v2, got no display. I then put the RTX 3080 into the "test pc" ran perfectly fine. Went through the heaven benchmarking mulitple times (NO RISER CABLE IN TEST PC)

So I came to the conclusion that maybe I need to reseat the Riser cable (Hyte Y40). I did that and now get the display and ran some benchmarks with no problem. I then took the rig upstairs to my main setup. Plugged it in, powered it on, ran the test and got TDR Failure. After that I reset my whole PC for a fresh install of windows, I now can load windows, but every time I try to run heaven benchmark is goes black screen and shows the VGA Light on the motherboard. This happens or the screen goes black and the system resets. I've tried different display cables. I'm completely lost and out of energy.

RTX 3080?
PSU?
Motherboard?
Riser Cable?
Bios?
Should I completely clean my drives and download windows from a drive?

I currently have a RX 7800 XT on the way.

Anything helps, suggestions, prior experiences. I've tried many things and honestly I don't even remember everything I've tried. Its just super strange that all of this is happening after a normal case swap...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I then put the RTX 3080 into the "test pc" ran perfectly fine. Went through the heaven benchmarking mulitple times (NO RISER CABLE IN TEST PC)
If you've established that GPU works fine without riser cable, why are you still using riser cable with it? :unsure:

Its just super strange that all of this is happening after a normal case swap...
Entire builds have been bricked after case swap. So, nothing new there.
Also, did the old PC case had the very same riser cable as in Hyte Y40? If not, then it wasn't just "a normal case swap".

I've built 20+ PC's and troubleshooted many.
That, i actually don't believe. Mainly because of this:
PSU- Red Dragon PSU007 80+ 850Watt

Reactions: Order 66

Andrew Krosley

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Aeacus I appreciate you responses. But guess what... You better believe it, I've built many PC's. I've actually tested two other GPU's with the same system (using the riser cable). Tested a RTX 3070, and a RTX 3060. They both run perfectly.

The RTX 3080 boots up but can't run games using the riser cable, but works perfectly using a regular pcie slot. I was just seeing if anyone had experienced it as well. Anyway have a nice night. I'm coming to the conclusion that the RTX 3080 is the problem.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But guess what... You better believe it, I've built many PC's.
With your experience, if true, shows clearly how little, if any, thought you've put into the PSU.

E.g your Redragon PSU; what were the reasons you bought it? Other than dirt cheap price and RGB fan in it? :unsure:
And the RGB fan is completely useless, since your Hyte Y40 case has full PSU shroud, completely covering up the PSU.

The RTX 3080 boots up but can't run games using the riser cable, but works perfectly using a regular pcie slot.
This sentence alone states that RTX 3080 works fine, when connected normally. But does not work when 3rd party riser cable is used. Thus, riser cable (for eyecandy) is the issue.

As of why RTX 3060 and 3070 work with riser cable, i guess these two GPUs doesn't utilize riser cable as much as RTX 3080 does, hence why no issues with those two. But that doesn't mean riser cable works fine in all scenarios.

I was just seeing if anyone had experienced it as well.
Plenty of people who have issues with riser cable.
Few examples;
topic 1: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/help-lots-of-beeps-when-i-install-my-gpu.3819328/
topic 2: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/brand-new-rtx-4070-causing-pc-to-crash-to-bios.3810590/
topic 3: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/problems-after-putting-gpu-riser-cable.3818884/

TRENDING THREADS