GPU R9 290 black screen 10 minutes within boot

sconvit

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Hey all:

Last week on the Internet and screen goes black. Won't boot to desktop with usbs plugged in. I fresh installed Windows 10 and did a system image recovery. Problem persisted.

Decided to boot using integrated graphics, works just fine. Able to get to the desktop and do anything. Plug in GPU to run on its graphics, I can now get to the desktop, yet screen goes black within 10 minutes after boot. I have changed pci-e slots and cleaned all drivers from computer and attempt to reinstall them, but can never finish download before black screen. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Running: Windows 10, XFX R9 290. No problems in 2 years running.

Solution
I'm willing to bet the PCI-E slot is malfunctioning, my old MSI motherboard had the same issue and I narrowed it out the same way you did, integrated graphics. Move the card down to the next PCI-E slot. BAM it worked 100%

Theri0n

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
1. What is your PSU? R9 290 requires a lot of power supplied preferably 80+ grade

2. What is your MoBo and have you got the BIOS updated to last stable. Have you installed stock INF for MoBo.

3. Even if you succeed, prepare to occasional rare artifacts, black screens and other desktop nuisances as AMD cannot fully resolve the issues with R9 and RX series compatibility to W10.

sconvit

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

In hindsight it would have been good to give you those specs as well. Btw- I have been running this setup for just over two years now with no incident. My PSU is 600W, Corsair- it's solid and I've never had any issues to date. My mobo is an ASRock H97M Pro4, also super solid, yet no BIOS update since I built the rig. As far as stock INF, I am not entirely sure. I will have to do some more research on that. Also, I never have had any W10/290 compatibility issues and I updated to Windows 10 well over a year ago. I'm going to try to get another video card to test.

Another odd thing is that I left the computer running idle for about 30 minutes and did not get any black screen- it was only when I used it and tried to download the driver that it went back to black screen. Also, this time I had audio running. After the screen went black, it stayed on in the background until ~10 second went by until it converted to just loud buzzing, Thanks for your reply.

Theri0n

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Even good PSUs tend to degrade over the time. I believe Radeons are more sensitive towards the electrical parameters (current, impedance vs) than GeForces, so I had to dump very good quality Huntley 600w (two years old) and 80+ bronze grade Cougar 650w (4 years old) along with brand new Aerocool VX-700.

If you didn't have any problems with desktop artifacts for the last two years and sure you have never overheat GPU, the only problem is PSU, so buy the new one and make sure it's at least 700w and 80+ bronze grade.

sconvit

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

Well- I ordered a new GPU last night- and I'll order a new PSU today. Then we will see what combination works. Expensive troubleshooting but at least I can return one of the two ... Thanks for your reply.

Theri0n

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014

Welcome. PSU is the most frequent cause of R9 200 problems. Just got my 700W 4 years old PSU eaten within 2 months to the point where it can't start the system with any discrete GPU.

TwilightRavens

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017
I'm willing to bet the PCI-E slot is malfunctioning, my old MSI motherboard had the same issue and I narrowed it out the same way you did, integrated graphics. Move the card down to the next PCI-E slot. BAM it worked 100%

Solution

maximilian666666

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
hello i got same problems i got asus r9 290 , i got a problem after install new driver , 17.1
i try to resolve it 3 days ... i read 300 pages of resolving this issue .(and its not easy, trying everything)
after load windows i got black screen after 10sek sometimes more , but always when i try offset or change gpu settings in msi afterburner! , its makes black screen always.
tooday i fix this problem and my gpu is working ! ! how :

1. uninstall all drivers , use ddu ( display driver uninstaller) use options : uninstall in safe mode
2. reboot pc
3. clean registery , delete amd files from c:amd
4.instal amd driver 15.7
5. restart pc
6. when windows is loaded i got some glitching (artefakts ,shapes the screen)
7. instal oc guru v 1.81 (OC_GURU II V1.81_B150326)
8. offset gpu in oc guru -80mghz core -200mghz ram and save profile( you can try maby it can by -20 / -100) but you need some dowclock

ps. bug with black screen can back when your windows install new update from internet in control panel / device menager / gpu/r9 200 series in information , driver date i got 2015-08-03 (black screen was got on driver from 2017 year windows instal this from amd 17.1)

if i will help you , you can donate me .

IBAN: PL
SWIFT: PKO PP LPW

r9 290 asus
gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev4.1
amd 9590
4x4gb ram
2x hdd
700watt fortron 88+ power supply