MEM : Patriot viper steel 3600c17
SSD : Intel 660p 1tb m2 nvme
PSU : Seasonic Forcus gold 80+ gx650w
Moni : vg258qr
Case : Phanteks P300
Cooler : AMD Wraith Spire
Front fans : 2 Corsair ML140
Top exhaust : Noctua A15

Is there something wrong or my case just isn’t providing enough airflow? GPU is constantly at 85-86 degrees when gaming.

jexorz

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2013
How old is the rx580?

I had this problem myself with my 480, i reached 201f once or twice and i wasnt a fan. I did however manage to fix the problem with the following simple steps

1. Make sure the card is free of dust, if you have the totally enclosed big black shell design once dust gets to the heatsink its cooling potential goes out the window

2. If its older than a few years and ONLY if you are comfortable to do so, clean off the old thermal paste and apply new performance paste

3. And maybe the most impactful. Get a program like Msi afterburner or get familiar with an AMD program and adjust the fan speed curve to something less rediculous than the standard "quiet mode" that alot of amd cards are on by default. (seriously my card was getting quite warm just from youtube and letting it cook just so a little bit of fan noise didn't bother me.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019
It is not unusual for the GPU to get quite hot when under load (like when gaming). Do you have a rear exhaust fan as well?
You mean this temp is normal? I do have a rear exhaust fan which came with the case.
How old is the rx580?
-No idea, Just bought it last month from a store with warranty. It is second hand but works pretty good.

I had this problem myself with my 480, i reached 201f once or twice and i wasnt a fan. I did however manage to fix the problem with the following simple steps

I also tried Sapphire Nitro RX 480 last month before switching to RX 580 and it just keeps dying. Did not find the problem but it disappeared when I plugged in a different GPU.

1. Make sure the card is free of dust, if you have the totally enclosed big black shell design once dust gets to the heatsink its cooling potential goes out the window

2. If its older than a few years and ONLY if you are comfortable to do so, clean off the old thermal paste and apply new performance paste

3. And maybe the most impactful. Get a program like Msi afterburner or get familiar with an AMD program and adjust the fan speed curve to something less rediculous than the standard "quiet mode" that alot of amd cards are on by default. (seriously my card was getting quite warm just from youtube and letting it cook just so a little bit of fan noise didn't bother me.

I’m trying to familiarize myself with the AMD program but for now I just set it at Auto.

Oct 21, 2019
just put some new thermal grease on it easy fast way to make it cooler and more reliable just check and make sure i wont void you warranty though. they usaully have stickers to keep us from opening it up.