Question GPU reaching 95+% usage then having major frame drops?

Jun 17, 2024
Hi, I recently cleaned all the dust from my GPU from the fans and heat sink. ofc to do so I had to open the GPU up (which I have done before with no problems) after cleaning it with an electric air duster and manually whipping some parts with a dry rag, I placed my GPU back and went to the game.

While playing I realized that I had major frame loss spikes at random times or that a lot was happening on screen (many CS2 smokes at once) this has never happened before (GPU has been working fine since I got it 4years ago ) so I opened Talk Manager on my 2nd screen and continued to play, as soon as the frame spike happened I could see that my GPU was at 95% or above usage, and only when it went above 95% it spiked.

i have watched many videos on possible fixes but still, none have solved it, I understand maybe I have damaged it and have to buy a new one (which I am ok doing) I just need to know if there is any way to 100% confirm that damage has been done? as I have seen videos talking about "check devise manager and see if it finds any issues" However it says its fine, is there any possible other reasons for the Frame loss spikes? or any way I can to check and guarantee my GPU is gone before I get a new one?

i have a gigabyte 2070 8gb oc (2 fans)

thank you, I appreciate it

to have a look what the problem could be:
run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28977730

check temperatures

all power connections still tightly plugged in on both sides? PSU and GPU

all fans on while gaming?

freshly reinstall GPU driver from nvidia.com

did you plug in the gpu into the correct PCIe slot?

check PCIe connection speed with GPU-Z while a game is running

Reactions: dion db
Jun 17, 2024
to have a look what the problem could be:
run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28977730

check temperatures

all power connections still tightly plugged in on both sides? PSU and GPU

all fans on while gaming?

freshly reinstall GPU driver from nvidia.com

did you plug in the gpu into the correct PCIe slot?

check PCIe connection speed with GPU-Z while a game is running
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/68086625

Temps while gaming is 75-85 °C
all connectors are plugged in well, both PSU and GPU
all fans do work and do ramp up in games
new drivers are installed
in the correct PCIe slot
PCIe power in-game is 37W and the voltage is 11.8V

Hi, I recently cleaned all the dust from my GPU from the fans and heat sink. ofc to do so I had to open the GPU up (which I have done before with no problems) after cleaning it with an electric air duster and manually whipping some parts with a dry rag, I placed my GPU back and went to the game.

While playing I realized that I had major frame loss spikes at random times or that a lot was happening on screen (many CS2 smokes at once) this has never happened before (GPU has been working fine since I got it 4years ago ) so I opened Talk Manager on my 2nd screen and continued to play, as soon as the frame spike happened I could see that my GPU was at 95% or above usage, and only when it went above 95% it spiked.

i have watched many videos on possible fixes but still, none have solved it, I understand maybe I have damaged it and have to buy a new one (which I am ok doing) I just need to know if there is any way to 100% confirm that damage has been done? as I have seen videos talking about "check devise manager and see if it finds any issues" However it says its fine, is there any possible other reasons for the Frame loss spikes? or any way I can to check and guarantee my GPU is gone before I get a new one?

i have a gigabyte 2070 8gb oc (2 fans)

thank you, I appreciate it
Hey there,

Well, first things first. Just to be clear: Your GPU hitting 97-99% usage is perfectly fine. Ideally you want your GPU at that level of usage which ensures it's maxing out the FPS being displayed on your monitor, and your CPU is providing enough pre-rendered frames to keep the GPU happy.

Can you list your PC specs in full please?

Did you disassemble any parts of the GPU, or just gave it a good blow out?

If you only gave it a dustout, then I would remove the GPU again, and check the contacts and the PCIe slot for any further unseen dust. Then reseat the GPU and try again.

Try using MSI Afterburner OSD and set it to show CPU usage/temps/clock speed. GPU usage, temps and clockspeed and VRAM usage. An then also system ram. You can also set it to show FPS - Max/Average/ and 1% lows. 1% lows are an indication of how smooth the game will play.

When running a game you will see all of these metrics on screen on the fly. You can keep a look out at anything hitting 100% usage. Then let us know.

Jun 17, 2024
Hey there,

Well, first things first. Just to be clear: Your GPU hitting 97-99% usage is perfectly fine. Ideally you want your GPU at that level of usage which ensures it's maxing out the FPS being displayed on your monitor, and your CPU is providing enough pre-rendered frames to keep the GPU happy.

Can you list your PC specs in full please?

Did you disassemble any parts of the GPU, or just gave it a good blow out?

If you only gave it a dustout, then I would remove the GPU again, and check the contacts and the PCIe slot for any further unseen dust. Then reseat the GPU and try again.
ok thank you for that insight, that's good to hear and yea does make sense

my PC has
Ryzen 5 3600
gigabyte 2070 8gb oc
Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
3 fan AIO from TT
500GB SSD
4TB HDD
16GB ram 3200mhz g.skill

yes I did disassemble the backplate, and removed the front plastic casing that holds fans on top of the heatsink, did not remove the heatsink from the PCB

Therefore the other instructions will need to be done tomorrow, will let you know.

thank you guys for the help

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/68086625

Temps while gaming is 75-85 °C
all connectors are plugged in well, both PSU and GPU
all fans do work and do ramp up in games
new drivers are installed
in the correct PCIe slot
PCIe power in-game is 37W and the voltage is 11.8V
If you run out of things to try you might want to update the bios what you have is quite old also check the chipset driver.

ok thank you for that insight, that's good to hear and yea does make sense

my PC has
Ryzen 5 3600
gigabyte 2070 8gb oc
Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
3 fan AIO from TT
500GB SSD
4TB HDD
16GB ram 3200mhz g.skill

yes I did disassemble the backplate, and removed the front plastic casing that holds fans on top of the heatsink, did not remove the heatsink from the PCB

Therefore the other instructions will need to be done tomorrow, will let you know.

thank you guys for the help
You're very welcome! :) Yes, do let us know.

Jun 17, 2024
100%. Good call.

@ OP, Make sure to clear CMOS after the bios update to ensure it takes right.
guys thank you so much, im unsure what fixed it as I did
1. dusted my PCIe slots again
2. updated bios to the newest available (I was running 2019 ahah)
3. reset CMOS
4. updated chipset
and then yea it works like normal, so thank you for you help ur all very kind to reply back

Reactions: helpstar
guys thank you so much, im unsure what fixed it as I did
1. dusted my PCIe slots again
2. updated bios to the newest available (I was running 2019 ahah)
3. reset CMOS
4. updated chipset
and then yea it works like normal, so thank you for you help ur all very kind to reply back
Excellent! Result :)

You're very welcome. Let us know if there's anything esle we can help with :)

Good luck, and happy gaming!