Question GPU reduces Clock speed when in game, resulting in fps loss

Oct 3, 2023
Hello,
I really need your help!
TL;DR:
I start Game, GPU reduce Clock speed -> GPU Load 100% -> FPS Drops

It happened around two weeks ago while playing Baldur's Gate 3. I could run it good and get around 80 FPS. All of a sudden my frames dropped to around 20-25 FPS.
Restarted the game, nothing changed. I tried different games: Dota 2, CS 2, Forza, in all these games my FPS dropped.
I reinstalled Windows, upgraded and rerolled my GPU driver, updated Bios, cleaned all the dust from my PC, changed the PCI-E powercord, but my frames still drop.
After one week of trying and reading different forums I noticed, that whenever I start a game my GPU clock speed reduces to 300MHz, from 1,650 MHz in idle and my GPU load goes up to 100%.
I described it to my friends, as soon as "I hit the gas" my GPU reduces the clock speed. If I go back to Windows, the clock speed goes back up.
The only game I can play atm. is Wow Classic Era, but as soon as I see water ingame my GPU clock speed goes right to 300MHz and my FPS drop.
My GPU temp is around 60° and never goes really higher, my fan starts spinning at 60°. I don't thinks its a heat issue.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Mboard: ROG STRIX x570-E Gaming
RAM: G.skill 32 GB DDR 4
PSU: Focus PX 750W

Here is a Screenshot, of what is happening. First my clock speed is normal, then I start a benchmark and my Clock speed drops. After closing the benchmark, the clock speed goes back to normal.

View: https://imgur.com/hmWck7v

If you need more Info's, I´ll be happy to give it. I also have a HWiNFO Log file, if its helpful.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I reinstalled Windows
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

upgraded and rerolled my GPU driver
Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstalled with the latest driver off of Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

updated Bios
Did you clear the CMOS for your motherboard after verifying that the BIOS was updated successfully? Speaking of BIOS, which version are you on at this moment of time?

PSU: Focus PX 750W
How old is your PSU?

Oct 3, 2023
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

I got it from the Windows Homepage (WIN 10) installed with a USB Stick.

Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstalled with the latest driver off of Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

I selected an older GPU driver from NVIDIA and ticked "Perform a clean installation". I will try it now with DDU and as Administrator.

Did you clear the CMOS for your motherboard after verifying that the BIOS was updated successfully? Speaking of BIOS, which version are you on at this moment of time?

No, I did not clear the CMOS after installing BIOS and I don't know exactly what clearing the CMOS means.
My BIOS version is: ver.4802

How old is your PSU?
3-4 years old.

Edit1: After using DDU and installing the NVIDIA driver my clocking speed is now jumping in Windows, but most of the time it sits around 300MHz :(

View: https://imgur.com/a/74OhP5O

Edit2: Now its back at 1650MHz in Idle, just like before, if I start a game it will drop back to 300MHz.

Last edited: